lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Car53WhereRU
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Turn signal install

When I did the motor / controller upgrade to my 01 cc I saved the old CC solenoid and used it to supply an accessory circuit for things like the brake lights. Works Great...Search my older posts (late '06 /early '07)for a write up with photos of the install. Hope this helps. Car53

Oh, FWIW, I used a LED flasher with a seperate ground wire with my LED's, problem solved
Car53WhereRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Car53. Great idea on the solenoid. Wounder where I can buy a used one? I can use it to switch the headlight circuit as well as brake lights. Perfect! Thanks man..
tlumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car53WhereRU View Post

Oh, FWIW, I used a LED flasher with a seperate ground wire with my LED's, problem solved
How did that work exactly? You used a 3 prong LED flasher or different? I don't recall being able to hook up a separate ground to my LED flasher. Will have to look tonight. I have an LED flasher that won't flash my LEDs!

tlumpkin- how many 1157 bulbs do I buy to hook up if the above won't work? got front and rear LEDs. 4 lights = 4 bulbs??
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extractor View Post
How did that work exactly? You used a 3 prong LED flasher or different? I don't recall being able to hook up a separate ground to my LED flasher. Will have to look tonight. I have an LED flasher that won't flash my LEDs!

tlumpkin- how many 1157 bulbs do I buy to hook up if the above won't work? got front and rear LEDs. 4 lights = 4 bulbs??
Ex.. One 1157 will do it. Tie it to either front or rear one left and one right, and ground the side of the bulb. One deal using an 1157, you might want to use 2 1156. I noticed on the 1157 it has a high element and low ellemnt. One side of the cart flashs alittle faster than the other. It is no bis deal and no one would notice. Just lets you use one bulb.
tlumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Car53WhereRU
Getting Wild

Club Car

Sorry about that....I should have been specific. I purchased a 3 prong flasher made for LED's from Advance Auto. In addition to the 3 prongs there was an additional "ground wire" that allows the flasher to operate regardless of the load. Works great ! I did not want to use another load such as an extra bulb as my main goal with the LED's was to reduce the total current load to max battery life. Oh, and while I'm sure that you know this for the benefit of those who may not don't ground the flasher, or anything else, to the frame...Car53
Car53WhereRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

I didn't want to wire in the 1157 bulbs since that defeats the purpose of the LEDs so to help out anyone looking for another solution this is what I did:
Got the LED flasher relay from golfcarcatalog.com which didn't work and apparently they know it won't work since they told me that on the phone!
Went to the local Honda motorcycle shop and got a Lockhart Phillips LED flasher for suzuki ($12.95). It's a two wire relay so I wired it in line with the load side of the golfcarcatalog relay and presto... it worked!
I couldn't find a LED relay that worked from any autoparts store (tried 3 of them and it was driving me nuts) so the combo worked for me. It's very likely that you can use the regular relay for non-LED bulbs that comes with light kits and just attach the Lockhart Phillips directly to the load side... very easy and quick solution for $13.
Now I need to return the 1157 bulbs...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
steven4771
Not Yet Wild

I ended up using two tail light lamps under the dash, it lets me know the blinkers are on and gives enough reststance to run led in the back and bulbs in the front (that took of a scooter I found in the trash) Now I have blinkers,runners, and brake lights for about 30$
I used a bussman 552 flasher, and some trailer from Atwoods.
steven4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since I installed a turn signal assembly made for a Precedent I just had to put in a new flasher ($12 I think) and it works great... actually, now the front LED turn signals are much much brighter than my original setup with the other turn signal assembly and the motorcycle relay.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Ok, question here since I suspect I am at the same level of frustration that a lot of you were at apparently with this ordeal.

I opted to go with dual filament sockets and led bulbs (3157/7443 sockets) since I wanted to have taillights that brighten as they flash or the brakes are applied. I ran the headlights/taillights on a separate circuit and they work as expected. I wired up a new turn signal switch and bought an led flasher, but weird crap happens when I connect the power to the turn signal switch. The headlight switch (which has an led on indicator) illuminates without the switch being on. The headlights come on without the switch being on. The taillights come on. Once while I was plugging and unplugging stuff in the back with the turn signal on, the lights flashed- EVERY light, including the headlights.

My question is- are these systems designed to perform as I want, meaning using a single filament bulb to function as a running light when the lights are on, but brighten when the flasher (turn signal)or brake pedal is engaged? Might explain the weird behavior and cause me to rethink the wiring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I'm getting even more frustrated now.

I determined that somehow the voltage going to the turn signal circuit was somehow going right through the led bulb into the headlight/taillight circuit. I was right. I took the pigtail out, put in the bulb and tested with a 9v battery. It shined just as brightly with the turn signal wire as it did with just the headlight wire. I wiggled it around a bit and played with the leads, and viola! Dim/bright accomplished. When I plugged it back into the cart, the blinker worked on the one bulb I just played with but the slightest bump caused it to go right back to acting funny. I put a regular incandescent bulb in and had no problems. Off to the store- I needed some quality led bulbs.

I got four for nearly $40, which was way more than I wanted to spend but I am at my wits end. I put them in and they worked, but did not flash! Grrrrrrr! Do I need load resistors too? Why are LEDs so difficult to get to work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car