lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Summit series 2 charger

I'm going to try again this evening. I downloaded the app and my phone says it's pairing but then when I try to select the charger from the bluetooth list it says connection rejected by the charger, but the 3 LEDs stil flash slowly together, which is supposed to mean it's connected. I'm beginning to think i got a bum charger.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the charger is currently set for "OFF Board", You have a bigger problem than the interlock.

The "OFF Board" mode only starts a new charging cycle when the cables are disconnected from the batteries, not when the AC cord is re-plugged to the wall like in "ON board" mode.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok here's the update.
I got the batteries out and took out the panel the controller is mounted on, the controller is definitely white and I see no signs of an OBC or that there ever was one. I don't see a 6 pin connector. While I have the panel out is there a connector on the controller that I can connect the blue wire directly from the charger?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check the continuity between Controller pin #5 (light blue wire) and the gray wire by the charger receptacle.

If You have continuity, the gray wire is the correct wire for the interlock in the ERIC system.

Put everything back in place and connect the charger blue wire to the gray wire.

If that is the case, the reason it is not working is because the charger is not configured for "ON board" use.

You have two choices:
1) Easiest: Use the app to put the charger in "On board Mode".

2) Harder: Get a 120VAC relay, wire the relay coil in parallel with the AC input of the charger and run the positive output of the charger through the relay N.O. contacts.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok I'll try that. I forgot to mentionI got the app working and it's set for on board now. I do the continuity checkand see what I come up with. Thanx for all the help.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since this thread is talking about this charger I wanted to ask about it. Is this a good charger. I have been looking at using it as an onboard charger myself for my 2014 Precedent. I am planning on mounting it in the bagwell under the rear seat since I have a locking door that closes over it.

My biggest reasons are this. I want a charger for onboard user as I mentioned. I wanted a charger that's easy to upgrade to a new charge profile when I change over to lithium batteries at some point. I also liked the fact I could use the app with it and when I called Lester to ask some questions I was put straight through to an engineer to answer them.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As You may already know Lester Electric owns pretty much every patent related to charging Lead Acid batteries.

Their App lets you download many free battery profiles from the "cloud" and upload to the Summit II.

They use the same charging profiles as Lead Acid for Lithium, but their web site implies it depends on your existing BMS to provide the termination at the correct voltage.

You are better off contacting them directly with the chemistry and terminating voltage for the lithium pack you are going to use, they can them recommend which profile will give you the correct charging or possibly create a custom setting for you.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As You may already know Lester Electric owns pretty much every patent related to charging Lead Acid batteries.

Their App lets you download many free battery profiles from the "cloud" and upload to the Summit II.

They use the same charging profiles as Lead Acid for Lithium, but their web site implies it depends on your existing BMS to provide the termination at the correct voltage.

You are better off contacting them directly with the chemistry and terminating voltage for the lithium pack you are going to use, they can them recommend which profile will give you the correct charging or possibly create a custom setting for you.
Thanks for the info Sergio. I have contacted them and told him what batteries I am looking at. Le me know since they are LifePRO4 batteries to use that profile from them. Even was nice enough to give me heads up to hold off a year or so. Said Club Car has a new Lithium pack coming and that with changes that are on the horizon the prices should drop quite a bit in the next year to 2 years. Works for me.

The place I bought my cart has offered to replace all of the batteries in the first year with US Batteries for $500. I think I am going to take them up an it and then go to lithium after that. As for the charger, I plan to pick one up in a few months and setup an onboard unit.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio I used your suggestions and I have the charger up and running as it should be. The app is really easy to use and provides great info. Thanx for all the help and patience with the 20 questions!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #20
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
They actually made both, the OBC and ERIC system that model year.

On an ERIC cart, just connect that charger blue wire to the blue wire from the cart receptacle.
Sorry to bring this back up. Is this really all I need to do on an ERIC cart? Only asking as I have seen a bunch of different threads and write-ups around the internet and they all were different in that most didn't agree. One mentioned to wire the blue wire with the negative wire like you would do with a receptacle. Another mentioned a jumper between the blue wire on it's terminal and the negative wire.

Just want to make sure as I am about to tackle this and want to get it right. Simply going to convert my exiting change port to a 110 port and plug in an extension cable there.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car