lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default 48v DS Wiring

Hi guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a DS that intermittently seems to click but not go anywhere. It's an 02 48v with mcor4. I've followed the wiring best I can at a quick glance, and from what I can gather the power goes from battery to solenoid and then when the solenoid engages it powers the controller. I've looked at the wiring diagrams and club car's diagrams are cartoony and kinda suck, but that's what I'm gathering from there too.

Can anyone confirm? The pre-charge resistor looks pretty crispy too. I'm suspecting that the solenoid may be audibly clicking but maybe the contacts inside are burnt and not actually closing, thus not powering the controller and the cart doesnt work.

Thats my theory, anyway :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190318-170033_Gallery.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 48v DS Wiring

I assume it is a Sepex cart (IQ)?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And whether it is a Series or Sepex the energy runs through the solenoid and to the controller.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry, its series. I got it from another member here today, and starting to take a look as to why it intermittently just doesnt go. Had to push it up on the trailer but when I got it home, i clicked it in reverse and it spun the tires all the way down lol.

Drove it around the yard a couple times and ran great. Stopped for 5 min and just a click. After a few clicks it went again and I used it all day for a very not fun yard project and it didnt fail once. He mentioned when it does fail, the light on the controller doesnt come on, so I'm guessing that means the controller isnt getting power. Which points me at the solenoid. I haven't had it fail again since I took off the cover to see the controller.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

What controller? (and the control power would not come from the high energy cables - it would come from a small wire at the controller)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Its an alltrax axe4844. Also has an admiral motor, HD fnr switch, and etc. The solenoid as best as I can tell is the stock original solenoid, however.

If it needs a controller, so be it. But when it runs, it.runs great. I'd hate to replace a perfectly good controller for something stupid like a $60.solenoid
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There is a green LED right above the B- at the controller. It will not power on until you have the Key On, FNR selected direction, and the Go Pedal depressed.

Control Power is the Red wire at Pin #1 on your controller and is just to the right of the LED.

If you have the permissives noted above and are NOT getting the green light, then you need to trace back for one of those items with your meter.

AXE Controller.PNG
Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

FWIW I had an AXE controller fail in the exact same way, it was very frustrating to troubleshoot as it would start working part way through the process. It finally just quit altogether and I replaced it.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks. It's very possible it needs a controller. I just know the solenoid clicks and it didnt go, but it never failed on me when I removed the cover so I could hook up my meter and try to see what is and isnt getting voltage. I beat on it pretty hard hauling loads of burned up barn today and it didnt miss a beat.

He mentioned a possible connection that it only seems to donit after it's been hooked up to the charger. Leave it off for a few days and it's fine. Though that may have just been pure coincidence.

I'll probably order a new solenoid and resistor anyway, the original one doesnt look good and I'm sure this solenood.wouldnt last long with the motor and controller combo anyway. Then just run it until it either breaks or confirm its reliable.

If I can get it to fail, will be real easy to test the solenoid with a meter. I'm leaving the rear cover off and keeping a fluke in the glove compartment so I'm ready :)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
fishbones
Getting Wild

I had similar problem building my series, HD F/R switch, when pressing the throttle down and it wont move try pushing on the F/R know and see if it takes off, to me it was not making contact. I put in the reversing contactor problem solved.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car