lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: powerwise 2 charger relay

Try cleaning the contacts in the cart and the charger plug. They're called radsoks or radsok connectors.

Before that, you may want to unplug the charger from the wall and plug it into cart. See if you have pack voltage inside the charger.

Some folks have to raise the plug, wiggle, and maybe even shim it with a matchbook. If you can't clean them enough to work reliably, I'd consider replacing the radsoks. You don't want to put it on charge then come back a few weeks later to find it never charged, and your batteries have been sitting at 60% SOC for weeks.

EDIT:
There is an Aux contact inside the charger plug. Make sure that's clean and makes contact with the cart's radsok.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did try moving the DC cord plug around in the receptacle. Also I took both cord plug and receptacle receiver apart and cleaned them again. I did clean the small triangle contact which looked clean also. I will keep looking into it and see what else I can find. I'm thinking either capacitor or its not sensing the voltage to activate the charger. Thanks for the help.
sprockket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

This is the second time someone suggested you check for pack voltage inside. But you can always replace a capacitor, which has NO influence on whether the charger turns on.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry I did check for pack voltage on the old board and it wasn't there. I only installed the board late last night and had to quit after that. I have a wake to attend this evening but plan have another look early in the morning before the funeral. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a follow up to the last post. I am at work now and can only work on the cart in the evenings. I didn't get a chance to check the voltage on the new board but I will when I get the cance. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #16
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I also forgot to mention that when I jump the relay on the new board, it does charge the cart....but the amp meter on the charger doesn't move at all. Could be the amp meter quit working?
Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockket View Post
Just a follow up to the last post. I am at work now and can only work on the cart in the evenings. I didn't get a chance to check the voltage on the new board but I will when I get the cance. Thanks for all your help.
I edited my last post to be less harsh.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockket View Post
I also forgot to mention that when I jump the relay on the new board, it does charge the cart....but the amp meter on the charger doesn't move at all. Could be the amp meter quit working?
If the ammeter has truly failed, the charger won't work. Often you can just thump the ammeter and it will work. If not, you may have to either look for a replacement or do without. If you choose to do without, definitely measure your batteries 12 hours after the charger cuts off, to be sure you're getting a good charge.

On your previous post, you said you were not getting pack voltage inside the charger? That needs to be corrected before the charger will work. You can eliminate the Aux contact by connecting the small wire that cones into the charger from the Aux contact to the negative wire.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The battery charging circuit in a PW-II consists of three parts.
1. A ferroresonant transformer.
2. A capacitor.
3. A pair of diodes.

The circuits on the control board have nothing to do with charging the battery other than:
a. Connecting AC power to the transformer if the voltage of the battery pack to be charged is greater than about 30V.
b. Disconnecting AC power to the transformer when the on-charge voltage of the battery pack being charged is climbs to 45V +/-1V.
c. Disconnecting AC power to the transformer if the on-charge voltage of the battery pack being charged fails to climb to 45V +/-1V withing 12 hours.

In other words, the control board is a semi-smart switch that turns the changer on and off when specific criteria are met, but is not part of the circuitry that actually charges the battery.

--------------
It appears that you have problems with both of those two electrically unrelated circuits.

The charger not turning on when connected to cart and the ammeter not showing about 20A when charger is first connected (with bypassed relay).

----------------

With charger disconnected from AC power outlet, connect to cart. What is the voltage between the red and black wires attached to control board?

----------
Attached is how to check transformer and capacitor as well as a service manual and troubleshooting guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text.JPG (176.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35827_A1.pdf (1.59 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf troubleshootingguide.pdf (62.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yurtle, thanks for the help...all good and really appreciate any direction. Johnnieb i will check it out in the morning. Life is getting in the way for a bit! Man made it so man can fix it!! Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO