lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Cdk
Getting Wild

Default 2009 Prec is slow...TPS or speed sensor?

Customer brought in a 2009 Club Car, still has the TPS in it. The pedal isn’t jerky, but the cart only does around 7-8 mph. Batteries are good, voltage read 46v when I floored it. Do you think it’s a faulty TPS and needs the MCOR update, or speed sensor?
Cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Cdk
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2009 Prec is slow...TPS or speed sensor?

I did the roll away test as well, and it did beep at me so there is some communication between the sensor and the controller.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure it is not a stuck Solenoid, test the Solenoid to make sure the contacts are releasing.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It does sound like "Limp Mode", but if you want to test the TPS to ensure you are getting the full throttle signal, turn key switch On, in Run and with multimeter set to 20 volts DC, place the black (–) probe on the Main Pack Negative post and the red (+) probe on the Yellow wire at a point the six-pin connector at the sensor. The reading should be approximately
~0.30 volts with the pedal up. Slowly press the accelerator pedal and note the readings on the multimeter. As the pedal is pressed, the reading should increase until it reaches 4.15 to 4.45 volts when the pedal is fully pressed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Cdk
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Make sure it is not a stuck Solenoid, test the Solenoid to make sure the contacts are releasing.

Serious question, how would a stuck solenoid slow the cart down? Definitely not being rude, just want to understand better.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Cdk
Getting Wild

Default 2009 Prec is slow...TPS or speed sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
It does sound like "Limp Mode", but if you want to test the TPS to ensure you are getting the full throttle signal, turn key switch On, in Run and with multimeter set to 20 volts DC, place the black (–) probe on the Main Pack Negative post and the red (+) probe on the Yellow wire at a point the six-pin connector at the sensor. The reading should be approximately
~0.30 volts with the pedal up. Slowly press the accelerator pedal and note the readings on the multimeter. As the pedal is pressed, the reading should increase until it reaches 4.15 to 4.45 volts when the pedal is fully pressed.

Thank you, I was trying to find these values online.

Just tested it, 0.29 volts at pedal up, 4.26 volts at full pedal down. Voltage cycles fairly smoothly as I press the pedal. I’d say the TPS is working ok? Is there any other tests to perform on the speed sensor?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A throttle signal cannot cause your "limp mode", there are only two possibilities:
1) Bad speed sensor circuit.
2) Stuck Solenoid.
If the voltage does not increase when the Solenoid closes (because it was already closed or stuck) the Controller goes into limp mode.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
Cdk
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
A throttle signal cannot cause your "limp mode", there are only two possibilities:
1) Bad speed sensor circuit.

2) Stuck Solenoid.

If the voltage does not increase when the Solenoid closes (because it was already closed or stuck) the Controller goes into limp mode.

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense.

Solenoid is functioning correctly, just tested it with the meter. Any way to test speed circuit?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Cdk
Getting Wild

Found Sergio's instructions from a previous post, copied here:

To test your sensor harness:

Disconnect the 3-pin plug from the speed sensor, with the Tow/Run switch on "Run", You should get 15v between the black and Red wires at the 3-pin connector.

You should also get 5v between black and green wires.

To test the sensor:

If the tests above are correct, You can test the output of the sensor "Green" wire by lifting one wheel and turning it by hand.

With the 3-pin plug connected and a wire piercing probe on the Green wire, the voltage will go from 0 to 5v - 24 times on a full wheel revolution.

I checked my harness, all was good. I left the sensor unplugged and went for a drive, speed was the same. I'm going to assume the sensor is bad and order a replacement.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdk View Post
Thank you, I was trying to find these values online.

Just tested it, 0.29 volts at pedal up, 4.26 volts at full pedal down. Voltage cycles fairly smoothly as I press the pedal. I’d say the TPS is working ok? Is there any other tests to perform on the speed sensor?
Yep, that is right on the money so the throttle signal is going to 100% so you know it is not a signal issue which brings you back to Limp or another issues that makes the speed close enough to half speed it mimics Limp mode.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car