lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Wheel Won't Fit New Hub?

Hey, I'm trying to fix a wobble in my rear 2012 RXV wheel. Wheel is SS. I've gone thru 2 new hubs, one Chinese, 1 OEM (Chinese?) and the lugs do not line up with the holes. The lugs appear too closely spaced, not by much but enough to not fit. Tried turning the orientation, no go. Tried swapping wheels, no go. The wheel is currently on OEM hub that fits.

Reason? Solution?
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wheel Won't Fit New Hub?

Tuesday bump!
Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Kinda hard to tell by your description...What does “no go” mean?... Sounds like you either have a bad wheel or maybe a bent axle... easy enough to figure out which... does it wobble on the hub it fits?... did you swap the hubs side to side? Is the wobble following the wheel?... The hub?... or the axle? ... or maybe the tire?

Nobody responded because they didn’t have enough information to form an opinion
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought I made it clear.

Take new OEM hub out of box. Wheels are SS manufacturer. Take off right rear wheel. Place wheel face down on bench and attempt to insert hub/lugs thru the four holes in wheel. Lug spacing is just too close and lugs will not insert into the holes. It's catching thread. Turn hub 90 degrees and then 180 degrees, lugs still will not insert into wheel withouth catching thread. Remove left rear wheel, attempt to insert hub/lugs onto that wheel, same problem.

Put both wheels back onto OEM hubs already on cart, no problems with fit.

I'm trying to isolate the source of lateral wobble. (Tire shop says wheel is fine, no problems when installing new tires. Tires eliminated as source.) Switched rear wheels left to right, still wobble on the right side, so it's either the hub or the axle. I'm trying the hub first, then will proceed to axle if not corrected.

I haven not tried to swap original hubs left to right. Hmmm.

Anyone seen this before regarding hub/lugs that won't fit into wheel holes ?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to wonder if the "oem" supplied part wasn't actually manufactured by the same Chinese factory?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
I thought I made it clear.

Take new OEM hub out of box. Wheels are SS manufacturer. Take off right rear wheel. Place wheel face down on bench and attempt to insert hub/lugs thru the four holes in wheel. Lug spacing is just too close and lugs will not insert into the holes. It's catching thread. Turn hub 90 degrees and then 180 degrees, lugs still will not insert into wheel withouth catching thread. Remove left rear wheel, attempt to insert hub/lugs onto that wheel, same problem.

Put both wheels back onto OEM hubs already on cart, no problems with fit.

I'm trying to isolate the source of lateral wobble. (Tire shop says wheel is fine, no problems when installing new tires. Tires eliminated as source.) Switched rear wheels left to right, still wobble on the right side, so it's either the hub or the axle. I'm trying the hub first, then will proceed to axle if not corrected.

I haven not tried to swap original hubs left to right. Hmmm.

Anyone seen this before regarding hub/lugs that won't fit into wheel holes ?

considering that BOTH wheels will not fit on your NEW hub, and the process you went through above to verify that the hub will not fit (can't bolt on a wheel) …. That hub is junk and you need to send it back.....

NOW.....that both wheels are back on....mounted on the original hubs, and the hubs are torqued down. get out your jack stands (we know you got some, if not get some or at least borrow some)…..jack up the cart and put it on jack stands. you may need some help....at least for the passenger side anyway. just remember, with no load, its easy to over speed the motor. ANYWAY...slowly roll the wheels and look at them. O KNOW you stated that its the RIGHT wheel/hub that is wobbling….but if nothing else, this should show you which one is wobbling WITH THE STICK HUB installed...…

although there is wobble.....is there any strange noise? as in a bad bearing? as you made mention that its a LATTERAL wobble....that's side to side....once again that could be bad bearings....but that normally has bad noise with it as well....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Then swap the hubs side to side to confirm hub or axle...and make sure both wheels don’t wobble on the non wobbling side.... Tire shop techs ain’t always right... especially if they sold you the wheels... be your own judge...definitely send the new hub back
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

1. Correction: it is the LEFT REAR WHEEL, (NOT THE RIGHT). Sorry. Yes I label my sneakers L/R at the toes to keep them straight. I must have been having a stroke moment.

2. I replaced the LEFT REAR bearing last week as it was making noise. The best part was that I got to use my new Jesus clip pliers that don't twist like the Harbor Freight one does. In fact, I removed and reinstalled that clip about 3 times, just for the fun of it! HA! The best $20 spent for a 2 second job. Buy a Knipex, works great.

3. I will jack it up, do the swaps, do the wobble inspections, will report back.

4. The "OEM" hub is the second hub I bought. I tried a real Chinese hub that had the same problem, but worse, which is why I splurged for the "OEM". The "OEM" came from a golf cart shop EZGO dealer.

4. Tire Kingdom installed my new tires onto my existing wheels.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO