lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #51
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: first step in DS conversion to lithium seems easy

Keep in mind the Controller is looking at overall pack voltage, not individual cell voltage, so there is no guarantee it will prevent damage.

The modules within the same pack should be in balance since they always charged and discharged together.

There is no guarantee the modules on the other pack have had the exact same number of charge/discharge cycles and at the same DOD.

The difference in their prior use translates to different voltage drops when a load is placed on each pack which makes paralleling packs with unknown history a difficult practical application.

Your proposed wiring would not prevent any single pack from overcharging since both BMS connect to both packs through the common negative BUS.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #52
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I haven't been posting here, because I haven't done much except drive the cart, but the lithium conversion has been working great. It was good for the Christmas parade, and for our neighborhood New Year's Eve party which involved roaming about on golf carts. I also use it just to run around downtown Lake Worth, FL.

I haven't put any automation in yet. I charge the cart using a timer on my phone, and check the voltage every couple of hours. I have found that it takes about 45 minutes to raise the voltage level by one volt, so I know about how long it will take to charge to 48V, which is where I stop. I only have a BMS on one of the two batteries, so I periodically check if the cells are still balanced manually, and so far they remain in balance.

I have a SOC meter to go in, and I've purchased a bus bar. It should be a simple installation, but recent unexpected relationship changes have left me focused on other things. I do look forward to working with the SOC meter, and to devising a charging method that is "plug and forget".
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #53
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't try to extrapolate how long it will take to charge based on that 1v per 45 minutes observation, lithium SOC/voltage is not linear.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #54
brightred2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I love reading these posts about lithium, I'm VERY anxious to convert 2-RXV's. Thank you all for the very valuable information!
brightred2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #55
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Checking in with a brief update -- I haven't done anything but drive the cart on a near-daily basis. I'm still using the small charger, which seems to take about 30 minutes to charge 0.5 V, so I set my phone timer and unplug after however many hours seems about right. I think it would be easier if I could find a really simple timer for an electric outlet, but for now it's easy enough to just go unplug the charger when my phone timer goes off.

Now for the bad part -- I haven't been using a BMS, and I haven't checked my individual cell levels. I probably should take a few minutes to put a meter on the cells and balance them, but for now the cart has been running so reliably and so fast that I've just been using it. One of my neighbors has a gas CC and one has a lead-acid CC, and I much prefer what I've got.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #56
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilson View Post
Now for the bad part -- I haven't been using a BMS, and I haven't checked my individual cell levels. I probably should take a few minutes to put a meter on the cells and balance them, but for now the cart has been running so reliably and so fast that I've just been using it.
Hate to be a "safety Sally", but be aware of the risk you are taking. Here is a Sticky that has important information: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=150460

The OP was using the same lithium battery as you are using.

I think you are aware of the potential issues. I am more posting this for others who are looking into doing a lithium build to know...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #57
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilson View Post

Now for the bad part -- I haven't been using a BMS, and I haven't checked my individual cell levels. I probably should take a few minutes to put a meter on the cells and balance them, but for now the cart has been running so reliably and so fast that I've just been using it. One of my neighbors has a gas CC and one has a lead-acid CC, and I much prefer what I've got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Hate to be a "safety Sally", but be aware of the risk you are taking. Here is a Sticky that has important information: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=150460

The OP was using the same lithium battery as you are using.

I think you are aware of the potential issues. I am more posting this for others who are looking into doing a lithium build to know...
I can't agree more with BBBHC's post. It only takes a few minutes to check each cell's voltage with a decent MultiMeter. You likely spend more time in the shower than you will checking the voltage....and the shower won't explode.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #58
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I think it would be easier if I could find a really simple timer for an electric outlet,
Here is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #59
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just a brief update to say the cart has been working flawlessly. I drive it most days, with no issues other than mechanical maintenance (bearings, bushings, tire pressure, etc). I watch the battery pack voltage, and keep it above 43v. I'm still manually charging; I just estimate the time and set a timer on my iPhone, and have only gone over 48v once. It would be more convenient to modify my charger to shutoff at 48v, or to use the mechanical timer suggested above, but this works for me. The combo of two 48v lithium packs plus 500 amp Alltrax plus low-profile 20" tires on an unlifted cart make this a combo capable of 25 mph with pretty good handling. Yes I have disc brakes up front.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car