lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
pigowar
Not Yet Wild

Default Considering Leaf pack conversion

Hello!

N00b here still with so many questions after reading mountain of information. I think I have information overload and ended up confusing myself and lose of confidence. I even considered drop ins from Allied but it's expensive and doesn't seem to have good reviews I can find so I'm definitely leaning towards the Leaf pack from scratch but I need to do this correctly in first few tries to avoid wrath from the queen for not buying a new cart instead. Please help me answer this question to finalize my purchasing decision:

My cart is 2008 Precedent 12x4, all stock w/LED headlight

Future accessories: Radio, Fan, phone fast charger

Current range is about 27 holes. Course is about 4.5miles long

Goal: 54 holes with 25% left.

I'm still lost on how FLA ah compares to the lithium. I keep reading that with FLA you only have 50% of claimed ah so that would make my current pack at 60ah? The pack never fully charges and I start the day with 80% which dips quickly to 70% after a first hole. The voltage drops to below 48v on full throttle after it drops below 65%. I think my batteries are going bad.

Is 7s Gen1 Leaf pack good enough? Site where I'm going to be buying from claims it's 38~40ah. All the posts I've seen so far talks about % left at the end of the day or hunt trip which really doesn't provide answer for golf only. Can someone with Gen 1 pack provide info on your ah and how many rounds it lasts?

Thank you in advance.
pigowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Considering Leaf pack conversion

Can't speak for Gen1 but I have 2 carts with Gen2 and both get about 20 miles. Plus I can recharge in 3 hours.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
pigowar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Can't speak for Gen1 but I have 2 carts with Gen2 and both get about 20 miles. Plus I can recharge in 3 hours.
Thank you for the answer. Do you have the 7s pack then? Recharging time doesn't matter to me since it will always be overnight charging. But it doesn't sound like 40ah will be enough for 3 rds but maybe 2 rds...
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigowar View Post
Hello!

N00b here still with so many questions after reading mountain of information. I think I have information overload and ended up confusing myself and lose of confidence. I even considered drop ins from Allied but it's expensive and doesn't seem to have good reviews I can find so I'm definitely leaning towards the Leaf pack from scratch but I need to do this correctly in first few tries to avoid wrath from the queen for not buying a new cart instead. Please help me answer this question to finalize my purchasing decision:

My cart is 2008 Precedent 12x4, all stock w/LED headlight

Future accessories: Radio, Fan, phone fast charger

Current range is about 27 holes. Course is about 4.5miles long

Goal: 54 holes with 25% left.

Thank you in advance.
Finally someone on here that speaks my language.
Very rarely do you ever here actual range discussed on here. Personally been looking at this also or roypow 160ah.
But really looking for more solid answers on range. Most I can get is estimates. Not many crazy golfers on here
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Think for the range we are looking for going to need 14 leaf modules.
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
pigowar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgolfer View Post
Think for the range we are looking for going to need 14 leaf modules.
It sounds like it. But so many insufficient info out there regarding the actual range for golf use I couldn't make up my mind. I certainly didn't want to over build and I certainly don't have need to minimize cycle because it will last longer than me as long as I don't over charge/deplete. 54 holes is enough to kill you in Texas heat anyway. But I think that size will cover any other needs like night driving to after party, pairing up with bad golfer and adding a fan. Besides, often times there's usually a drunk gallery on 18th drumming up another round before heading to the bar. How can you say no?

I saw a post where a person built 100ah and said they did 3 rds and only used 20%. Even if it was just 2 rds, that says a lot and 40ah seems to be good enough. And then other posts with vague % claims are most of them. And you look at Allied lithium pack and they claim 30miles for 60ah but also says for 2 rds of golf you need 80ah? So I would need 120ah = 28 Leaf modules???

And then you see these prebuilt lithium carts making different claims... I mean, COME ON!!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have been running Leaf cells for Four years now - 14 modules. I get four solid rounds of golf between charges - last week we played five and it was just getting to where my low voltage alarm would sound under load on the last hole. We normally recharge after four rounds - which includes round trip to the club house. Total of 25 miles.
I would definitely go with 14 modules for the extra margin - and the weight. My 14 module battery weighs about 110 pounds which is around 250 pounds lighter than the 6 x 8 batteries it replaced. The cart's suspension is tuned for the extra weight. Mine rode like an empty pickup truck until I changed out the rear coil over shocks. (Yamaha) I installed shocks from a gas powered cart - which is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the electric version.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
pigowar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Okay so... judging by your sig, you have 60ah and that should be in 7s. And you get 20miles? So... since my course is about 4.5 miles long I'll get 54 holes and have 25% left! Of course I have to factor in hills and what not but I don't think I'll have any issues for 36 holes and then visiting a friend at the other side of the course.

Settled then. Gen1 can be 7s but will need to be upgraded to 14 eventually. But Gen2 with good cells will be okay with 7.

One last question, how much % is left after 20miles? Or is that 100 to 0 estimate?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
pigowar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I have been running Leaf cells for Four years now - 14 modules. I get four solid rounds of golf between charges - last week we played five and it was just getting to where my low voltage alarm would sound under load on the last hole. We normally recharge after four rounds - which includes round trip to the club house. Total of 25 miles.
I would definitely go with 14 modules for the extra margin - and the weight. My 14 module battery weighs about 110 pounds which is around 250 pounds lighter than the 6 x 8 batteries it replaced. The cart's suspension is tuned for the extra weight. Mine rode like an empty pickup truck until I changed out the rear coil over shocks. (Yamaha) I installed shocks from a gas powered cart - which is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the electric version.
Thank you for the feedback. 4 yrs ago... so I'm guessing you have Gen1 battery?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigowar View Post
One last question, how much % is left after 20miles? Or is that 100 to 0 estimate?
I have my own standard. I never run below 53V or 3.78V per cell. I could probably run a little lower but like the wiggle room. And yes. Mine is a 60AH.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car