lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
rnr127
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 48 volt Precedent wont charge

I want to get another opinion whether my charger is bad or the OBC. When the charger is plugged in nothing happens no click sound nothing. From what I have read I think it is a bad OBC?? These are the things I have checked and the results.
1. Charged all batteries individualy, reading 49 volts across 4 batteries.
2. Reset the OBC per instructions found here on buggies gone wild , there was no change.
3. Opened the charger and tested the fuse and the reset button both were good.
4. Pulled the blue & red wires off of the relay and put a multi meter across them then plugged the charger into the cart. Did not read any voltage.
5. Checked all wire connections nothing was loose, wires in back of charge port are not loose.

Would appreciate any help.
rnr127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2005 48 volt Precedent wont charge

If you are not getting any voltage across the blue and red wires the obc is probably bad...It takes a few seconds before you get a reading..Run a few tests..Give all the wires a light pull from the back of the receptacle to make sure they are connected.. Make sure that the red wire from the charge receptacle to pack positive is in good shape...That wire supplies the + signal to the charger relay....The neg signal to the relay comes from the obc on the gray wire ( blue inside the charger)...You can test that by cutting the gray wire and running it from the receptacle side to pack neg..Since it is a Precedent you don't have a fuse on the gray wire..If the charger clicks on the obc is your problem...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Start with the basics. Make sure a wire has not come loose going to the battery pack.

Happens all the time.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
rnr127
Not Yet Wild

All cables to the battery pack are clean and tight. Tugged on wires on back of receptacle and all are tight.

I will try cutting the gray wire and running it to the pack negative tonight after work and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
rnr127
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Start with the basics. Make sure a wire has not come loose going to the battery pack.

Happens all the time.
Wire is clean and tight.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the exact model of the external charger box you have for that Precedent, Your description of a Red and Blue wires don't match the PowerDrive 3 box?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio..He said in the op that he pulled the blue and red wires off the relay and tested so I'm assuming Powerdrive 1 or 2..
Old 07-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree which makes me wonder if he has a failed fly-back diode on that relay.

The reason the Precedent no longer has that 3/8 fuse in the gray wire is due to the TVS setup in the PowerDrive 3 that better protects the OBC and also allows it to sense when there is failure of the TVS setup.

If the flyback is missing or open on the PowerDrive 2 it could have taken out the OBC FET.

Edit: It looks like some early versions of the Precedent were available with PowerDrive2 (perhaps someone can verify). In any event the fly-back diode should be checked before selling the charger.

Last edited by Sergio; 07-22-2020 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Found some old posts about early Precedents still using the DS chargers.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm wondering if it is a PD 2 if it has the 3/8 amp fuse on the gray wire on a Precedent...Always learning..
Old 07-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
Ted4Alltrax
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

. It is possible to manually reset the OBC to verify that it is not the problem. In any situation where the controller did not obviously fail, but it just stopped the OBC needs to be reset first. The reset process is easy to do, but can take a fair amount of time. Resetting the OBC
To reset the OBC the following must be done in this order: • Key Switch to Off • Forward/Reverse to Neutral • Tow/Run Switch to Tow • Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.

• Put the Tow/Run to Run • Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse • Key Switch to On • Lock the throttle pedal down The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in about 30 seconds. Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset. To reconnect the OBC back into the system: • Key Switch to Off • Forward/Reverse Switch to Neutral • Tow/Run switch to Tow • Reconnect the Batt – wire to the battery minus terminal on the battery pack. Once the OBC has been reset, the cart can be troubleshot. There is always a chance the OBC has completely failed and the reset process will not fix the problem. Consult your Club Car manuals or contact Alltrax for more troubleshooting of vehicles with an OBC
Ted4Alltrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
is charger bad, is obc bad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car