lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Default Good Deal? Lester Summit for my Club Car DS

I have a 2006 IQ Club Car DS. I've already upgraded to:
- Alltrax XCT Controller, 500 Amp, Club Car IQ
- A4 Motor,
- Solenoid, 400 Amp, 48 Volt
-2 Gauge Cable Set, 6x8V DS, with OBC

I have an opportunity to by a Lester Series 1 onboard charger (Model 27800) for about $125 still in box..someone purchased in 2015 and never installed.

1) Is this a good deal on the charger given its not a series 2?
2) How much effort would be required to use this onboard..not fab, but just hooking it up..I assume I have to disable OBC?
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Default Re: Good Deal? Lester Summit for my Club Car DS

Is the summit 2 a significant upgrade over the series 1
Old 08-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I have the Lester Summit (series 1) charger for my cart. It is model 28000 which is the 48 volt x 19.5 amp charger.

I went with this higher amp charger model as Trojan recommends charging at 10 to 13% of the battery C/20 (amp hrs) for the bulk charge and 1 to 3% of the battery C/20 (amp hrs) for the finish charge. For my 240 Amp hour Trojans, this results in a recommended bulk charging rate of 24 to 31 amps and a finish charge of 2.4 to 7.2 amps. The model 28000 is the highest amperage charger that Lester makes at 19.5 amps, so I decided to ensure a good charge on my batteries (and hopefully a longer battery life) that I would invest in the higher amp charger. I have been very happy with the performance of this charger. When I bought it three years ago, according to the sell sheet, it featured: "Industry-leading Lester Electrical charge algorithms prevent both undercharging and overcharging, optimizing both daily battery capacity and overall battery life."

The Lester Summit charger that you are considering is the model 27800 which is the smaller 13 amp version. My personal opinion is that this 13 amp charger may be insufficient to meet the Trojan charge recommendations of 10 to 13% of the battery C/20 (amp hrs) for the bulk charge. Note that US Battery also recommends a bulk charging rate of 10% of the battery C/20.

I "assume" that the 13 amp charger may also get the job done but will take longer to charge the batteries ... but if I read the Trojan and US Battery recommendations correctly, more amps is better.

If you are OK with the 13 amp rating of this charger, you will also want to confirm what battery profile the charger has been set up for. The model 27800 has 5 different profile options and that set up option needs to match your battery type. See page 8 of the attached Lester Summit Manual for more information on the battery profiles. I understand that changing the battery profile would have to be done at a Lester dealer.

What make, model of batteries are you using? What is their capacity (amp hours) at the 20 hour rate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lester Summit Series Applicaiton Chart.JPG (178.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lester Summit Battery Charger Manual.pdf (1.07 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
Sethmac
Getting Wild

I have Trojan Ranger batteries so I’m thinking this is a bad fit
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You could use the 27800 but it’s only rated for 700w. It would work but with the large capacity of your batteries you would be better served by a 1050w model.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just purchased a used 27800 Charger. There's a QR Code on the label and it says "Scan QR Code to access the mobile product portal". If I scan it and click the link I get a "404" error saying page cannot be found. Does anyone know if this is intended to link to an App or just the mobile products website? I downloaded their current App and it does not detect the charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201212_222455223.jpg (290.3 KB, 0 views)
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns18 View Post
I just purchased a used 27800 Charger. There's a QR Code on the label and it says "Scan QR Code to access the mobile product portal". If I scan it and click the link I get a "404" error saying page cannot be found. Does anyone know if this is intended to link to an App or just the mobile products website? I downloaded their current App and it does not detect the charger.
The 27800 is NOT a Bluetooth enabled charger so it will not connect to the Lester Summit App.

Yours is a Series I charger. You need to have a Summit Series II charger to use the App.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car