lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
sb62nova
Not Yet Wild

Default rearend moan

So i got my first cart, witch will be used at the track just to get around. I bought the cart it had all brand new batterys not installed yet. so today i put them all in wired her up and it runs great. the only thing is it has moan coming from the motor/rearend. its only when it is under load if you let off the gas its smooth no noise. Just wondering if there are any common problems, or certain bearings to look for. i cant imagine the ring and pinion making that much noise. and i made sure it had gear lube thanks!

btw its an 83 ezgo electric
sb62nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: rearend moan

Problem is either the input shaft for the rearend or the motor bearing. I'm betting on a worn input shaft.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Problem is either the input shaft for the rearend or the motor bearing. I'm betting on a worn input shaft.....

i can agree with that..................................... ...
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
sb62nova
Not Yet Wild

Question tore it apart tonight.

so we tore in to it tonight to see what we could find. The gear lube looked like it was from 83. thought for sure we would find a bad bearing......but , after going over everything there was nothing jumping out.My dads thinking since it was so easy to get apart, nothing was hung up. maybe it once had a bad bearing if somebody drove it like that a while could have meshed the gears differently and when they finally fixed it, it may just be a mesh noise. kind of like a used gear in a car. any ideas maybe something we may have overlooked.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How about some close-ups like that of the input shaft and the motor coupler? I'm still betting on the input shaft being worn......
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
sb62nova
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
How about some close-ups like that of the input shaft and the motor coupler? I'm still betting on the input shaft being worn......
are you saying the splines on the input shaft or the dia. that goes through the bearing. I would have taken pics but i threw it all back together. after you tell me what i should be looking for maybe ill tear it apart again. thanks for the help
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The input shaft is fairly easy to remove (just a snap ring holding it in place). I would take a hard look at the splined end that goes into the motor coupler (as well as the motor coupler itself) then pull the input shaft and check the bearing for free rotation and check the curved splines for abnormal wear.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

i would have replaced the motor bearing while i had it out. they are notorious for goin bad. I have seen a few input bearing goo bad, but I see way more motor bearing go bad due to them being right beside the brushes.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The top bearings on the input shaft are sling lubricated meaning that the oil has to work its way up from the bottom ring. Older carts will suffer from this problem you describe becasuse the oil becomes so heavy it does not get to the input shaft bearings. The newer style input shaft bearings are sealed and are not so dependant on the oil making its way to the top.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
The top bearings on the input shaft are sling lubricated meaning that the oil has to work its way up from the bottom ring. Older carts will suffer from this problem you describe becasuse the oil becomes so heavy it does not get to the input shaft bearings. The newer style input shaft bearings are sealed and are not so dependant on the oil making its way to the top.
Exactly... hence the reason I suspect the input shaft more than the motor bearing. I have had a rush of these lately......weird how things go in cycles.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO