lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
junkman_80
Not Yet Wild

Default battery voltage change

Hello I am new to this forum and want to say thanks for all the info. I was wondering if it is possible to change my 6 6volt batteries to 3 12 volt? If I can will this cause premature problems with the batteries. thanks
junkman_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: battery voltage change

3 12 volt batteries will work but you wont have nearly the same run time or battery life, stick with the 6 volt setup.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

3/12v = 36v?
Or can I use 3 12v batteries in my 36v golf cart?
You can use 3/12v batteries in series to create a 36v power supply. However this supply will be lacking in amperage capacity and deep cycle ability. The result will be poor run time and shortened battery lifetime.
The batteries used in your cart should be golf cart specific batteries.
Golf cart batteries are designed to hold a large amount of amperage and to be discharged relatively low over a long period of time.
Automotive batteries do not store as much amperage and are designed for shallow discharge and immediate recharge. Like starting a car and having the alternator immediately begin recharging.
Battery construction differs and plate thickness and count per cell varies with regard to discharge characteristics and designed usage. The thinner plates of automotive or marine batteries give up their amperage much quicker than Golf cart batteries.
You can connect 3 automotive 12v batteries in series and get 36v. You will not have the same amperage reserve or operational characteristics needed to make the batteries perform well or last satisfactorily in a golf cart.
But, it will work for testing or short run usage...
I hope this helps ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
junkman_80
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought new 6 volts. Hey Scotty B I was reading your tutorial about battery break in and had a question. You said with new batteries I have to charge them until charger turns off. I have the old style 36 volt charger that has the timer, How long should I be charging each time/ or at what voltage should i turn the charger off? I have a 89 ez-go. Do O need to upgrade to a charger that automatically shuts off? If so how much would one cost me? don't mean to be a bother, but would appreciate the info.
junkman_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman_80 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought new 6 volts. Hey Scotty B I was reading your tutorial about battery break in and had a question. You said with new batteries I have to charge them until charger turns off. I have the old style 36 volt charger that has the timer, How long should I be charging each time/ or at what voltage should i turn the charger off? I have a 89 ez-go. Do O need to upgrade to a charger that automatically shuts off? If so how much would one cost me? don't mean to be a bother, but would appreciate the info.
It is likely you have an automatic charger. Model no? Is it green on the front?
Try this:
With the charger plugged into the wall, turn the timer dial all the way counter-clockwise to the off position. Now plug the other cord into the cart's charge receptacle. You should hear a click from the charger. Now turn the timer all the way clockwise to the start position. Charging should start and the amp meter needle should go to about 18-20 amps. The charger will charge the batteries completely and will automatically shut off when finished. The amp meter will slowly decrease to between 1-3 amps as the batteries reach full charge. The timer will stop when the charger shuts off indicating the how many hours it took to charge the batteries. This is for info only but can help with trouble shooting if it ever becomes necessary. Charging will normally take about 6-10 hours depending on age of the batteries and how much you used it since the last charge.
Periodically monitor the amp meter the first time to make sure the charger does in fact shut off automatically. New batteries typically take longer to charge than older ones under the same circumstances.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NICE post kernal
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO