lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
gilldawg79
Not Yet Wild

Default New 2005 Precednet owner

Hi, new to this part of the forum, and club car. Can anybody give some things to be aware of and check before I screw something up. I want to add a 12v stereo, just a standard stereo or small amp with an aux input for an iPod or something. I would like to lift it and put some a/t tires on it. Any particular lift kits or anything. No offroading, just through the yard and pasture. I was pretty efficient working on my ezgo, but this system is new to me. I understand that I may need a voltage reducer for the electronics, but since this cart has lights would I need one of those, or if it has one could I be overloading it with a radio and what not? I just got it today and downloaded the manual, so I really haven't dug into it. Got it for a steal, and am pretty pumped.

TIA

gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New 2005 Precednet owner

gilldawg79,

If your cart already has a voltage reducer, you won't overload it by the installation of a radio and speakers. Because your cart has lights, I would assume that you have the VR already installed.

There are many lift kits available. Trust me, you get what you pay for here. 2 of the best are Allsports and Jake's. Then there is spindle or A-arm.

I chose a Jake's 6 inch Double A-arm lift kit, along with wheels and tires, and am very happy with the quality of everything. Installation was easy. There are MANY threads about lift kit installation on this forum, with many pics, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to get the right info.

BTW, nice cart, and best of luck with it.

PS> We like pics
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

gilldawg79, I agree with the standard radio comment but you need to look at the voltage reducer and see what it is rated for. Standard set of headlights and tails are going to pull around 10 amps. Standard radio has a 10 amp fuse but wont pull that much normally. Just dont overload it..
Oh yeah, sweet cart ....
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
gilldawg79
Not Yet Wild

Where in the cart is the converter/reducer? What is it, a reducer or a converter? Would I be better off getting another one? Radio for sure, with lights on occasionally, but probably rarely the two together.....is there a wiring diagram out there with the connections to the factory stuff, or splitting off of it to a new fuse block or t-strip?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure if your cart really has a voltage reducer. It may be using only one of the 12v batteries that run your cart. If you are thinking about adding an amp with your stereo you might consider adding an auxiliary battery to power stereo and lights and any other accessories.

I agree Jakes and Allsports are the best lifts out there. I have the 6 inch Allsports A-arm lift and it was easy to install and I highly recommend it!

Cart looks great!

Good luck!
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinman View Post
I am not sure if your cart really has a voltage reducer. It may be using only one of the 12v batteries that run your cart. If you are thinking about adding an amp with your stereo you might consider adding an auxiliary battery to power stereo and lights and any other accessories.
Ditto on the voltage reducer. If yours is like mine was, the lights will be powered off a blue wire coming from the positive side of number 1? battery (or is it number 4) and not a reducer or auxillary batt. I use a reducer, but I am only running lights. If you are gonna run a stereo, amp, and such, you should really go for an auxillary battery, especially if you plan to play it loud, play it with the cart sitting idle or intend to drive the cart for long distances between charges. The auxillary battery setup will help you reduce the draw cycle on your main battery pack, thus extending their life.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use a 25 amp reducer that is wired to the entire 48 v pack. I added a fuse/juction box that allows up to 6 accesories. I run head/tail lights, front led lights, a 12 v plug adaptor and a standard stereo & speakers. I also have an on/off switch so I can kill the reducer when none of this stuff is in use. That way there is no draw on the pack when I don't need those things...
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
gilldawg79
Not Yet Wild

Currently, the wheels one the cart are 12" wheels. I am a little torn on which lift kit to get....4" or 6". I think either way I am going to go with a double a arm kit,I just don't know which route to go. I want to use the tires and wheels that are on there for golf season, but I don't want it to look too goofy lifted too much on those 12" low profile tires and rims. Seems like the 4" might make the best match. Any opinions? I just want to get a set of 8" rims and a/t's for hunting season..... No major off-roading, just through a pasture. Any opinions there? Is there a good place to look for tire and rim assemblies....I'm not looking for anything fancy.....just a steel wheel and I'll put some covers on them.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Those are my exact wheel and I just did a lift this week cus the wheels were rubbing, looks a little funny but not too bad. But I only lifted the front by about 3/4 inch and the back about 3-4 inches. Looks way wierded in the back. Was thinking about new tires like 20 inch high and 10 inch wide for the back but I got enough rake already.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car