lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
RhinoGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default Question about regen braking

I ordered a magnet so I can possibly get more speed out of my cart. The way I understand it, I will loose regen braking. Do I need the regen brake? If I take the cart to a dealer and have them set the cart to speed 4, will I get the same top speed as a magnet and still have the regen benefits?

Thanks
R
RhinoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Default Re: Question about regen braking

THIS IS A RESPONSE I WROTE TO A LOCAL FRIEND REGARDING THE SAME QUESTION. I BELIEVE IT'S CORRECT.

Here's the deal. There is such a thing as a high speed magnet mod that can be used with the Club Car IQ system. That is what you have since I noted the serial number starts with PQ.

There are 4 speed codes that can be programmed into the cart. Code 4 allows the cart to go 19.6 MPH. You will note that when you go down a hill the cart will not keep going faster and faster. That is the motor becoming a generator limiting the speed to 19.6 MPH.

Some folks want their cart to go faster, but they don't want to spend the approx $100 dealers charge to load Code 4. If you are running code 3 you can purchase a magnet mod that simply cuts the number of pulses per motor revolution "fooling" the controller. The magnet is about $20 or so.

If you are running Code 4 your are getting the max of 19.6 MPH from the cart. Adding the magnet to the cart will not increase your top speed EXCEPT downhill. The magnet disables the regenerative braking feature so the cart will go faster downhill.

Bottom line: If you are running Code 4, and want more speed on level ground, you must do a controller/motor upgrade.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
RhinoGuy
Not Yet Wild

If im running code 4, will I still have regen braking? How beneficial is the regen braking?
RhinoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Code 4 does retain regen braking. I rarely feel it engaging, only when I'm pedal to the metal downhill, and then it's very slight. I believe there is a 20 mph limit for some federal regulation compliance hence the 19.6 mph limit.
Unless you have an ego thing about a couple more mph (only downhill due to lack of regen braking) go with code 4. If you really want to go faster then look at a motor/controller upgrade.
For me I have no need to go above 19.6 since I'm not driving long distances, nor want/need to have the fastest cart around.

I drive a 09 Precedent.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car