lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Flatland2D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need help wiring a G14 controller

Hello! I've recently acquired a Yamaha G14 and EZGO TXT for extremely cheap and need some help with the G14. It was not running when I got it. The previous owner(s) apparently didn't know what they were doing when they ran into problems with the cart and made things worse. What I need to know is what wires connect to what terminals on the controller (B+, B-, M-). Ignore that there are already wires there. I suspect they may be wrong. I have a copy of the schematic so I know electrically how it should go, but I don't know physically which terminal is which. See picture below.

The cart is missing the solenoid. When it probably failed, they just connected the positive side of the battery to the F/R switch instead of going through the solenoid. They cut the wires that actuate the coil of the solenoid. Next, the F/R switch isn't wired correctly, which makes me think the controller could be wrong, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Flatland2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Need help wiring a G14 controller

Bottom right to A2 on motor
Bottom left main neg
Top right solenoid
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Man, that controller sure looks gross. I hope its still good.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Flatland2D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
Bottom right to A2 on motor
Bottom left main neg
Top right solenoid
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, it's still not working. I jumpered 36 V over from my other cart and couldn't get the wheels to spin (on jack stands, of course). It did spark a little when connecting power, but I imagine that's just the capacitors charging up. It didn't spark again after that.

The last thing to check is to make sure the throttle potentiometer is working. I'll do that later as I started to get cold.

I've seen some rebuild options on a few websites where you send in your non-working controller for repair for $200 versus $300 for buying a replacement. Anyone have any experience with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Man, that controller sure looks gross. I hope its still good.
Yeah, it was in pretty bad shape when I got it! It had layers of fine dust on it from sitting outside for so long. Also, as you can see, it's rusted, too. I'm going to do my best to remove the rust and paint the frame with undercoating spray paint.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

I would always suggest spending a couple extra $ on a new Alltrax over a rebuilt.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Maybe the controller is shot...looks rough and connections rougher.
I have a g14 and it runs great, very comfortable ride.

I would upgrade than rebuild controller, unless they can make it 36/48 for 200. I cant find any for 300, i was looking just to find specs and max voltage...thinking of going to 48v.

I hope you get it running.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Flatland2D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the suggestion on the Alltrax. I found the equivalent part I would need. If I decide to lift this and add 20" tires, will I need a controller and motor upgrade over stock? I'm really looking to sell this golf cart after I finish it, so I'm trying to find a good balance between upgrades and profitability. Almost all the golf carts I see for sale on craigslist are lifted with big tires, so that seems to be the norm.

Looking further into the controller issue, there is no voltage from the controller that goes to the throttle potentiometer. The potentiometer tests okay by itself, but the controller is not putting out any voltage to be read on the wiper. Since this controller may be trash anyway, I will probably open it up and see if there is anything I can repair before ordering new.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Oh yeah, i forgot, you want to flip this one & keeping costs low trumps other things.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Flatland2D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am going to call the controller dead so I ordered a new remanufactured one. There is a rebate for returning your original and it comes with a two year warranty. I'm pretty happy with this option.

I also ordered 100 ft of 4 AWG wire (I have two carts to re-wire, and I'll still have plenty of extra), new solenoid, crimp terminals, hammer crimper, and some split loom tubing to clean it all up. It should all be here by this time next week.

There's a lot of rust to deal with so I've decided to strip the frame down as best as I can and use CLR, sandpaper, and wire brush to remove what I can. Once that's done, I plan on spraying the entire frame in rubberized undercoating. Hopefully I can have this part of the project done or almost done by the time the electrical stuff gets here. I'm really eager to see the tires spin!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha