lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
jpsb
Not Yet Wild

Question how to test a club cart motor

I need to test a club cart motor 1012191 can anybody tell me how to do that? thanks in advance.

jim s
jpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: how to test a club cart motor

series motor test

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.

jumper cables may be used
black clip on battery negative,
red clip on motor A1 post, tap the other ends together
Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
jpsb
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: how to test a club cart motor

I found an good write up on how to test but I need to know which terminal is A1 which is A2, S1, S2 the terminal are not identified on my club cart 1012191 motor any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
crash test dummy

first you are in the Yamaha area ..
tell us the year of your cart and voltage
Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
jpsb
Not Yet Wild

The gulf cart is a yamaha, but it has a club car motor 1012191. there are four unmarked terminals I am trying to identify the terminals so I can test the motor. I would post a picture of the motor but I am not allowed to. Google club car motor 1012191 images and the first image is my motor. It's got 4 terminals inline. I need to know which is A1, which is S1, etc.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
jpsb
Not Yet Wild

I read that I should have continuity between A1 A2 and S1 S2. I think I know where A1 is so using continuity I've identified my likely A2. But there is no continuity between the S terminals. Is that bad and if so how bad? Can that be fixed? Once again thanks in advance.

Jim s
Old 09-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm pretty sure the designations are stamped into something outside the motor..... To test for yourself, You should use your ohm meter to first find the 2 pairs of terminals that have continuity. Then test to determine which pair is the "A" terminasl by slowly turning the armature while testing the pairs (the pair that is the armature will get erratic while turning). You could also remove the bolts from the back of the aluminum housing to remove the "shell", this will get you a close up look at the field & arm connections. You will need to loosen the terminals to allow the field wires to detach from the aluminum cap.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
crash test dummy

i was asking year motor came out of
on my 84 cc
from battery area
S1
A2
S2
A1
Old 09-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's bad. It probably means a wire broke off inside the motor at the terminals since the field is just a coil of wire. The Armature has brushes and a commutator that can cause continuity problems if the brushes wear out. You will have to pull the motor and inspect. Be careful of the terminals. It is easy to twist them or snap them off. Use two wrenches and hold the bottom nut still when turning the top nut.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
jpsb
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: how to test a club cart motor

Thanks, I got the wheels to turn so the motor is usable, might need a lot of TLC but it's not dead. I had continuity between terminal 1 and 3 so I called them A1 and A2. No continuity between terminals 2 and 4 but I decided to name them S1 and S2 anyway. Then I tested with 12 volts as suggested above and the wheels turned. Yipee! Next I'll see if our local excellent alternator rebuilder can do a club car motor, if so I'll have him rebuild it and then get batteries and I should be close to good to go.

Tags
motor test electric
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha