lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brighter Bulb

1992 GE-5 E Sun Classic.

Is there a brighter bulb to replace the stock bulb. Lady in village says lights very dim. Do they dim with age?
I see a stock replacement bulb from a supplier at almost $16.00 each.
ardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brighter Bulb

If her lights are getting very dim then I would say she might have a corroded connection somewhere or even a loose or bad ground wire.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The stock bulbs are a unique part in the golf cart world. Is it possible that they are dimming because the two batteries they run from are getting lower than the other 4? If so, a Dc/dc convertor will supply them with steady power at all times. There are upgrade options, but they will require custom work to get them to fit right. I tried a set of HID bulbs for the first time the other day, the brightness was incredible. They had their problems too, low voltage causes them to shut off, not dim. Their heat was a problem in plastic headlight housings (not a problem in a G5). The biggest issue is that they are not a direct fit in the G5 headlight housing (would require custom fitting). I do not know of a brighter bulb that is a direct swap into the unique G5 headlight housing. I would be looking more at the voltage drop issue i mentioned first.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, Yahamaman and cgtech,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have not yet had a hands on look at this cart, but wanted to get a head start on ideas. They have had the cart since 2000 and I do not know the history of maintenance.

I had mentioned LED but looking at pictures, diagrams of these headlights, any other bulb rather than factory fit looks like a problem.

I will definitely look at corrosion and diminished battery conditions.

Of the 30+ carts I see at the church parking lot on Sunday morning I suspect very few have converters.

I also know many carts stay off the chargers while owners go north for 6 months. A practice I have been trying to discourage, almost to no effect.

Thanks again, Ard
ardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Hey, if they want to buy batteries every 2 years, treat them how ever they choose.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good for the battery business.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha