lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Tmconcepts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New guy with a G19e

Hello BGW folk, I have been browsing information for the last couple of days. I recently acquired a cart that used to be my grandmother's but had some dead batteries and 4 sweet flat tires.

I have a couple children and are always BBQ'n with the neighbors so I decided to put some money in it.

THE QUESTION - I need new tires but don't want to sink too much into it at this point. My local tire shop has some 20X10X8 lawn tires and I was thinking going that route because I don't want to loose too much torque and ability to haul 4 people, beer and food across the fields and Sandy arenas.

I know a 4" lift will clear the 20" tire no problem but will I loose any noticeable amount of torque doing this, therefore causing me to start upgrading motors, controllers and so on. I already have other hobbies that are money pits so I'm going to leave it as much as stock as possible.

Thanks
Tmconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New guy with a G19e

Yes you will lose torque by increasing the tire size. Going to 20 inches should not be too big a change though. (roughly 10% less torque) Your big investment will probably be the batteries if everything else works.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Does the cart currently have high speed gears? What was the top speed before? Stock top speed was around 12-14mph. If it goes 20+, it has probably gears. The reason i ask is that high speed gears are gonna be a problem for off-road or bigger tires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Tmconcepts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Fresh batteries and tires aired up to 22psi (before it leaks out) I clocked 13mph on GPS.

Its a two owner and we know the original owner. Nothing was done other than not cleaning the battery trays.

It has 18x8.5x8 Duro's if I remember correctly. My two options at the tire shop are a 8" wide and 10" wide tire. Do you think the 10" will fit ok or perhaps rub on brake cable or steering linkage?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't know about tire fit (the sites that sell them will tell you what requires lift and what does not). You are getting normal MPH with a stock cart. If you want faster, there are lots of things you can look into but some will cost more $$ than others. There is a chain of devices here. (batteries, controller, motor, solenoid, cables) Upgrading one of them can stress another one. I have some painful experience with that. Once you decide what performance you want, ask the experts here what is the best path to achieving that.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
Tmconcepts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When looking at controllers what does 0-5K mean CD 0-1k.

Does another controller output higher amps, for torque only? As I'm sure a motor has a max design rpm.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is the throttle input spec. Different carts use different circuits for the throttle. 0-5K is a pot that is zero ohms at zero throttle and 5K ohms at full throttle. My Yamaha cart throttle puts out 0-5Volts - different circuit. Aftermarket controller folks have to handle all different sorts of throttle circuits.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your stock GE motor has relatively small brushes, which will limit the max amps it can safely use (which limits max torque). I would not suggest any controller over 400a for that motor, big tires & wheels makes it even worse.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Kainedogg
Not Yet Wild

How do you like the cart so far OP? I may be grabbing one and am a little surprised that with 48v's it only hits 14mph.
Kainedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Tmconcepts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So far its doing great, I put some larger tires that actually hold air on her and a china lift. It just see light riding in the pasture and tows the family down the road to the neighbors. Larger tires helped clear dirt clumps and moderate size sticks along the trails. I have left everything else stock and its working well for what I am using it for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha