lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default not good news..

Well a G29 came in today, and based on the opinion of another mechanic friend the teeth on the input shaft or the motor coupling are stripped off. When the cart is on the ground it makes a grinding, growling sound, almost like when a hub drum is stripped out. When you jack it up, the passenger side wheel spins as normal. I've never had to do it yet, but apparently its a real job to fix the input shaft, because the differential must be removed, and cracked open to access the input shaft. Also, something about there being two different shims that go with the input shaft, and there is a 5 thousandths of an inch difference between them, and it crimps itself down when you put it back together, and you must select the right one or it will be noisy when you put it back together. Oh, and also something about needing a special rack tool that holds the differential in place when you take it apart

question A: if the teeth on the input shaft/motor coupling were truly stripped/sheared off, would the wheel even spin when jacked up?

Last question, I was told by the same person that the internal brakes on these cars go bad pretty frequently, he said they make a nasty chattering noise. Since I have worked with the G29 for three years so far, I have not encountered one yet with bad/chattering brakes. Is it truly that common??

thanks again

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: not good news..

Find a different person. Ive dealt with hundreds of Yamaha drives and have yet to see the brake system need replaced. Other shops say brakes need replaced, but they are criminal shops so I take it with a grain of salt. Just tackle the job yourself, and youll see its not that hard. Sounds also like the cart is being mis-diagnosed anyway (common in this industry). Just look at it yourself.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Find a different person. Ive dealt with hundreds of Yamaha drives and have yet to see the brake system need replaced. Other shops say brakes need replaced, but they are criminal shops so I take it with a grain of salt. Just tackle the job yourself, and youll see its not that hard. Sounds also like the cart is being mis-diagnosed anyway (common in this industry). Just look at it yourself.

yeah, well fortunately this person does not come by that often. He also mentioned that if its NOT the input shaft/motor coupling teeth that are stripped out, it is probably a gear that has an issue in the differential (and I have yet to see a G29 with a bad gear too).

I still do believe however the problem is in the rear of the car, considering the wheel spins like normal when in the air, but not at all when on the ground (plus the grinding noise I hear)

steve
Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

"white tag axle"? is my first question...(never seen a bad gear???).. second, yes the "lifetime brakes" can actually fail/wear out, believe it or not, and they squelch under braking when approaching zero speed when they are bad. bad brakes Do Not result in cart not moving/slipping sound when trying to go. the brake pedal feels lazy & unresponsive when they are bad, hard to describe. we have a local hotel chain with some stretch "work cart" ydre's on steep hills every day that have seen brake life as short as 18 months (cheap help shortens brake life, they treat them bad in many other expensive ways too). would wheels spin if motor splines damaged while jacked up? likely yes, there is no load on the parts when jacked up.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
"white tag axle"? is my first question...(never seen a bad gear???).. second, yes the "lifetime brakes" can actually fail/wear out, believe it or not, and they squelch under braking when approaching zero speed when they are bad. bad brakes Do Not result in cart not moving/slipping sound when trying to go. the brake pedal feels lazy & unresponsive when they are bad, hard to describe. we have a local hotel chain with some stretch "work cart" ydre's on steep hills every day that have seen brake life as short as 18 months (cheap help shortens brake life, they treat them bad in many other expensive ways too). would wheels spin if motor splines damaged while jacked up? likely yes, there is no load on the parts when jacked up.

I understand about the wheels still turning while jacked up under no load. I just wan't to make it clear that I was not implying that brakes on the G29 CANT go bad, or the gears never go bad. I was just saying that in the three years so far I've had G29s around, i've never had to replace internal brakes or mess with gears...that's all
Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yamahaguy if you do find out what is causing this noise please post it here, my cart has been making noise for a while now have had it back to shop twice under warranty. Dealer has changed fluids with a chrysler product (that I then removed and replaced with correct yamalube). Cart is still making grinding growling noise and the dealers response is it is a normal noise and I still have plenty of warranty time left if it should break. I would rather not wait til it breaks. I was thinking maybe input shaft but don't want to tear it down myself and void my warranty.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
Yamahaguy if you do find out what is causing this noise please post it here, my cart has been making noise for a while now have had it back to shop twice under warranty. Dealer has changed fluids with a chrysler product (that I then removed and replaced with correct yamalube). Cart is still making grinding growling noise and the dealers response is it is a normal noise and I still have plenty of warranty time left if it should break. I would rather not wait til it breaks. I was thinking maybe input shaft but don't want to tear it down myself and void my warranty.
the problem was not just noise, it was that it wouldn't move either. I inspected the input shaft and motor today. Both are fine, and I also had someone turn each wheel by hand while I held the input shaft tight, the wheels didn't turn the input shaft so now it has to be a gear issue
I'm not particularly looking forward to cracking it open, but it has to be done.

wow, your dealer told you that grinding/growling noise is normal lol? they also told you the heck with it, if it breaks your under warranty anyway?
lol doesn't sound like they wan't to deal with you...Also, make sure you check the usual things, like the axle bearings and even the motor bearing, although I doubt your noise is from the motor.

steve
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #8
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You check the wheel hubs. Had a friends cart that was making noise then stop moving it turned out to be a drivers side wheel hub easy fix.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have personally checked all the usual culprits for the noise everything I have checked is fine. Kinda stuck with this dealer though as the next closest one is about 5 hours away.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertakamagoo View Post
You check the wheel hubs. Had a friends cart that was making noise then stop moving it turned out to be a drivers side wheel hub easy fix.
yeah, unfortunately it is not as simple as that. we received permission from the customer today to order a new trans axle so that will be the end of it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha