lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
djo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Aftermarket Motors

I have a stock 2012 Drive that I recently upgraded the wires, controller and solenoid. I'm happy with the added speed on flat areas and downhill but 11 mph uphill just won't cut it. Since it appears that's all I'm going to get out of the stock motor (until it burns up), I'm looking to upgrade it.

I live and golf in a very hilly area with curvy streets. I really don't need to go faster than I am now (23+mph), but want to maintain some more speed uphill. So I guess that means a higher torque motor. However, it seems like most motors I've looked at give you a choice of buying one with speed or more torque, but not both.

I talked to Plowman who says I'd be very happy with his motor. I have no reason to doubt him, but he is selling a product--$700 plus shipping.
The motor is made to his specs and is proprietary so getting specs, other than hp, is a no go. I even have to send him my controller so he can program it with his proprietary info.

I know he's got a good reputation, but I'd like to hear some independent opinions.

Can anyone give me info from personal experience with his motor regarding speeds on hills? Or, recommend another motor.
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Aftermarket Motors

I think you would be extrtemely happy with the Admiral MOT-D2 motor and then at sometime upgrade your controller to XCT48400. You can get them both from ScottyB at Carts Unlimited or David at Revolution Golf Cars, both site sponsors. I just did an upgrade on a 2011 YDRE with these two components, 2" lift kit, 22" tires, runs 30mph with a lithium pack. Would probably spin stock 18" tires on pavement. The only issue I see for you would be this new motor with a stock controller, you just won't get the best torque improvement without the controller upgrade with it. That's 2 cents worth from me.

Last edited by PingEye3; 01-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: added info
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
I think you would be extrtemely happy with the Admiral MOT-D2 motor and then at sometime upgrade your controller to XCT48400. You can get them both from ScottyB at Carts Unlimited or David at Revolution Golf Cars, both site sponsors. I just did an upgrade on a 2011 YDRE with these two components, 2" lift kit, 22" tires, runs 30mph with a lithium pack. Would probably spin stock 18" tires on pavement. The only issue I see for you would be this new motor with a stock controller, you just won't get the best torque improvement without the controller upgrade with it. That's 2 cents worth from me.
The first sentence in his post says:
"I have a stock 2012 Drive that I recently upgraded the wires, controller and solenoid.

Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

OOPS, missed that part. Still a good motor choice, if he already has a controller upgrade.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
xcntrk
Not Yet Wild

What controller do you have now? I'm surprised that with an upgraded controller you only see 11mph. I have a 500amp controller and see 28mph on the stock motor (granted that's with 22" tires)
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
djo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have the Alltrax XCT-500 with 2 ga cables. It was set to 400 amps so as not to burn up the factory motor. Stock tires.

The 11 mph is uphill. On a flat area, I'll get 23mph and 25 downhill. No complaints about the flat speed, just the uphill. It has a hard time keeping up with a stock EZGO on the hills. A newer ac cart leaves me in the dust.

Scotty looked at the numbers from screen shots that I sent him. He said that everything looks good and the stock motor is giving all it can. He recommends the Admiral B2 high torque motor.

Plowmann recommends his motor.

Which is better? Is there a difference?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post
I have the Alltrax XCT-500 with 2 ga cables. It was set to 400 amps so as not to burn up the factory motor. Stock tires.

The 11 mph is uphill. On a flat area, I'll get 23mph and 25 downhill. No complaints about the flat speed, just the uphill. It has a hard time keeping up with a stock EZGO on the hills. A newer ac cart leaves me in the dust.

Scotty looked at the numbers from screen shots that I sent him. He said that everything looks good and the stock motor is giving all it can. He recommends the Admiral B2 high torque motor.

Plowmann recommends his motor.

Which is better? Is there a difference?
Fact; you're not going to be able to match an AC cart with a DC cart, but I think adding a torque motor will suit your needs to keep you at a high teen/low 20's speed on the inclines. The B2 has a good following on here.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Admiral B2 is nearly half the price of the blue motors and the failure rate of the blue motors in Sepex systems is well documented, especially in steep hill country.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
djo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Admiral B2 is nearly half the price of the blue motors and the failure rate of the blue motors in Sepex systems is well documented, especially in steep hill country.
I surprised to hear that because I haven't been able to find anything about a high failure rate of the blue motors.

It seems that both the Admiral and D & D are often the most recommended motors.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post
I surprised to hear that because I haven't been able to find anything about a high failure rate of the blue motors.

It seems that both the Admiral and D & D are often the most recommended motors.
I speak from my own experience. I tried not to plaster it all across the internet but when somebody asks ... Admiral is my preferred choice for Sepex carts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha