lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
brianmac42
Not Yet Wild

Angry Yamaha G29 torque issues

This is my first time on BGW so sorry for the lengthy post.

My wife purchased a 2013 G29 48v electric cart for my xmas present. We live 4 hours away from where she purchased the golf cart that includes a 90 day warranty. I have driven many carts and play golf so pretty familiar with speed and torque and the uphill speed

I took it for a spine and noticed the cart very slow and extremely slow going up the slightest hill. I have a steep driveway (about 30-35 degrees) and barely made it up the driveway on a full charge. I thought the cart was going to stall/stop. My wife drove it back to the dealership for them to look at. They did a computer diagnostic and came up nothing. They said 1 battery seemed a little off and changed it out. The speed code was originally set to #2 speed and asked them to bump it up to #4 which gives me 19 MPH. I was hoping this would help the torque/speed uphill as well.

I took it for a spin and does all 19mph on a straight away. However, the torque/speed up didn't change at all. I go 2 mph up my driveway and about 4-5 mph on 10-15 degree hill. The best way to explain it is that once I it the smallest 10 degree hill it shoots down the mph/torque instantly even if I’m hauling 19mph. It’s almost like my downhill (Freedom mode) speed sensor is backwards and slows down with the slightest incline. They eliminated the downhill sensor so it’s on the freedom mode.

My neighbor who has a Club Car with no speed/motor modification climes my driveway and hills with no problem at 8-10 mph.

I called the dealership back and they said they have no idea what’s the problem since everything tested out. I was told to bring it back and they will look at it again since it’s under warranty. That’s another 8 hours roundtrip.

I called the local Yamaha dealership up and they said it should slow down uphill but not to 2mph. They said bring it in and they will do a diagnostic. We are looking at $200+ dollars just to find what’s wrong IF they find what’s wrong.

I would like to take this cart hunting at some point but I don’t think I would be able to haul a deer let alone myself and a couple buddies.

Are Yamaha G29’s terrible with torque uphill? The controller amp specs look pretty similar to other cart make and models.

I already considered installing the Madjax 600AMP Torque Controller Kit to help but that’s $1000

Thanks in advance for the comments.
brianmac42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G29 torque issues

Mine loses speed going up the slightest incline. I haven't tried a long 35 degree incline but that'd surely slow it way down but I doubt it'd slow it to 2mph, maybe 6 to 8mph. From all my reading/research, it appears a good upgrade for torque would be the Alltrax XCT 500 amp controller w/the Admiral B2 torque motor. I'll be using mine for hunting as well and this will be the upgrade I do (along w/2ga cables). This is the controller:
http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/con-xct48500ydre.htm
Just upgrading to that controller w/stock motor should give you ~11mph up an average incline.
Be forewarned that it WILL eventually burn up your stock motor running it @ 500 amps, just a matter of when. I'm going to buy the controller first & run it @ 400 amps. When it burns up my stock motor then I'll upgrade the motor to the Admiral B2. With that motor & controller combo you should get about 23-25mph (depending on tire size) & lose very little speed going uphill.
Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

This #2 & #4 speed settings business is all club car lingo, not Yamaha. And there is no "downhill speed sensor" to remove to put it in "freedom mode" (a Ezgo term, not yamaha). Changing speed settings was never advertised to Increase torque at all, by yamaha, or here, if the dealer told you it would, they tricked you. Some of the motors had worse torque issues than others, and all the stock controllers were weak (none of them held over about 12moh on a hill). Your best bet would be a controller/motor/cable upgrade. I really think your dealer has been feeding you a good line of untrue stuff.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
brianmac42
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Molon. Yeah, the 35 degree driveway is not long. I'm running 2mph after 20 feet or so. Thanks for the upgrade info. The dealer was telling me that he can install a 400 amp or the Madjax 600 amp controller adjustable kit. I like the idea that I can control the speed and torque for when my daughter gets old enough to drive. I definitely want to adjust the speed whenever I can instead of having to take it back to the dealership to adjust. So I'm assuming that a 600 amp would burn up my motor quickly? If so why would the dealership say he can install one at that high amp?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
brianmac42
Not Yet Wild

thank cgtech, that was the lingo they gave me and what I saw on the internet. Several dealership said they can increase the setting to 13-15mph for free but have to pay extra for the max speed code of 19mph. They did take the downhill safety switch off. It doesn't slow down/break when i'm coasting downhill. They didn't advertise the torque would increase I assumed that I would have a little more momentum getting uphill in the beginning and not bog down so quickly. I know there are upgrades but dang, we just spent $$$ on this cart for it not to go up the smallest incline. Could any of these parts be bad even though their diagnostic sensor said nothing is wrong? I would like to upgrade at some point but don't have the $$$ to do that now.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

unfortunately there are several issues you could have. FIRST, how old and what kind of batteries do you have. I would load test each battery yourself and verify they are good. Check your pack voltage and see what it is sitting, going along on flat ground, and when you go up the hill.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
brianmac42
Not Yet Wild

Tanks bird,
They said the batteries are Trojan HydroLink (see attached). Was told they are newish/refurbished and should last 3-5 years. They did a load test and found 1 battery, that was still in range, but questionable. I checked the batteries and they were at 8.20- 8.24 volts. From the picture it looks like they wrote the volts tested. This pic has 7.5. They did change these questionable battery out. What do I need to do a load test?
IMG_1643[1].jpg
Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your batteries should read right at 8.49V at Full 100% charge. Based on the voltage you are reading that is in the 70% charge range. Sounds like your batteries are at least part of the problem. What is the date code stamped into the positive pad on the batteries? They should all be the same as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery State of Charge.pdf (175.0 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Molon Labe USA
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Your batteries should read right at 8.49V at Full 100% charge. Based on the voltage you are reading that is in the 70% charge range. Sounds like your batteries are at least part of the problem. What is the date code stamped into the positive pad on the batteries? They should all be the same as well.
Yep. If they're reading 8.24 fully charged, that's the first issue to get squared away. They're probably originals but the stamp on the battery post will tell you for sure.
Molon Labe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you search the BGW sponsors you can save some serious cash. I found the above control for $549 and with the required 400 solenoid for $591 with free programming.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
speed control, torque, uphill, yamaha 48v, yamaha g29
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha