lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
wdysf1500
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up EZGO HEI conversion gone bad

I just wanted to update everyone on HEI conversion on 1995 EZGO. If you are doing the conversion and your Pulsar (Pick Up) is not 200+ ohms you will not have enough AC voltage to trigger the HEI module. I bought a replacement pulsar because it only tested at 20 ohms and would only put out approximately .17 volts AC no matter how close the pulsar was to flywheel. Make sure that you have at least 3 volts AC or it will not trigger the HEI module. I am in the process of getting a Yamaha Warrior pulsar. It looks identical to the Robins Pulsar except for the wire comes out the side. I will update when it comes in. Also, through this project I found that if you are having issues with the original igniter and replace the pulsar with the stock 20 ohm version make sure to put both spark plug boots on or you will have very, very, very weak spark. I am talking about 1/64" gap is the only way it will spark. As soon as you ground both plugs (one on the plug in the cylinder and the other on a spark tester) you will have great spark. In all my years of working on small engines I have never seen such a thing. It may just be a weird thing because someone else put an aftermarket coil on it. However, you may give it a try (ground both plugs) if you replace the igniter, pulsar or coil.
wdysf1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO HEI conversion gone bad

Check out the coil.
Go to a gm dual coil and it should work just fine.

For point setups converting to hei on bikes we used a transistor hooked to a diode and a resistor to power it off the positive side of the module.
This could also work to bump the output of a weak pulsor.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
wdysf1500
Not Yet Wild

I tried a GM coil when I first installed HEI module. It still did not have enough voltage to make the Thyristor work. It had really weak spark. DO you have more info on bumping the voltage or an article to refer to? Thanks! Also, what spade connectors are you using on the GM coil. I saw that they make a test adapter that will connect to the coil but it is like $24 bucks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...91680316734122
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
wdysf1500
Not Yet Wild

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html
Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
wdysf1500
Not Yet Wild

Update. If your pulsar is showing only 20 ohms it will not have enough AC voltage to fire HEI module. I bought a new ezgo pulsar ($69 bucks) and it only had 20 ohms also. However, I had an old pulsar from Yamaha Warrior that measured 450 ohms and it fired the HEI module. You will have to make the holes larger on the pulsar but it should work. I have not mounted it on the cart yet. I had an old piece of aluminum that I made a flywheel with screw in the end and tested it with an electric motor and the GM coil fired. It is also a third of the price of EZGO pulsar. If somebody else has a chance to try out a Yamaha Warrior 350/450 Pulsar please let me know your results when it is actually on the cart. This may be a new cheap part that we can use on these EZGO carts. It is only $26 bucks on Ebay. Just keep in mind you will have to elongate the holes with a Dremal tool.

Tags
conversion, hei, ignitor, no spark, pulsar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO