lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
ALSLOAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO 2 Cylinder Gas HEI Conversion

I am wanting to do the "HEI Conversion" to my EZ GO golf cart. My question is how to do this with two cylinders. I have read the sticky note and looked at the pictures but not quite sure how this works with two spark plugs. The pictures only showed being able to hook up one plug. Do I purchase one for each cylinder or am I missing something? Just an FYI, I am wanting to do this because my spark plugs have virtually no spark and it is extremely weak when it sparks at all. I am new to the golf cart repair world so please bear with some of my ignorance
ALSLOAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
ALSLOAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO 2 Cylinder Gas HEI Conversion

I found another 4 stroke conversion forum that had a print and a variety of suggested coils and parts to use. I went ahead with trying the conversion and now I am basically where I started.....No spark! I installed a 2 pole output MSD coil with the MSD coil interface module to help with mounting. I put in a "Fire Thrower" Hei and new spark plug wires and new factory spark plugs. A couple of things I am not sure are right per the other forum are:

1) With the 4 wires coming out of the MSD coil interface module (2 whites/2Blacks), what would be the correct wiring for my two wires from the HEI?

2) The plug wires I bought have a very high resistance on ohms setting (4k-5k) and will not even read through the diode setting. Is this right?

I have 11 to 12 vdc going to my coil but no apparent spark.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not familiar with the 2 cylinder motor, but are you sure that your igniter/pulser on the engine is OK? It is usually a little coil on the engine block that gets excited by a magnet or iron plate on the flywheel passing by it.

The HEI module needs a good pulse from the igniter on the engine before it can make a coil throw a spark.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To test you coil, Leave the + wire attached to the coil and use a jumper wire to connect the negative terminal on the coil to a good ground (bare metal on the frame or the engine block) just for a half second (leaving it connected too long is bad for the coil). When you pull the jumper wire away from the ground, the coil should fire and you will get a spark on a properly grounded spark plug.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
ALSLOAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks kyerick. I will try this, this afternoon and post back what I find.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know of a good way to check your igniter/pulser as i am not familiar with your machine. Maybe others will chime in here.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
ALSLOAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I finally got to check a few more things over the weekend. I pulled the flywheel cover to get to the pulsar and it was terrible dirty. I cleaned it all then I got on one of the forums to find out what the ohms reading on the pulsar should be. I thought somewhere I read around 20 ohms was correct, which is what mine was reading but then when I checked the manual it was saying ohm reading should be within the range of 433.5 to 586.5 and if out of this range replace it. So with that said I am now waiting on that $100 part to arrive. I do still have the open question about the "coil stacker" or "MSD coil interface wiring. I have two whites and two blacks. Anyone got any idea correct wiring for that. I have read the instructions and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to me for my application. Hopefully someone can assist with this while I am waiting on the pulsar to come in. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO