lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
wauters
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 EXGO belt problem?

I have a 1987 ezgo gas cart. I recently replaced the drive and driven clutches. The driven was making the belt flop all over the place and it was tearing up belts. I also bought a new belt. I think the belt is the wrong size or I have something not aligned correctly. The cart will go, but when pressing the gas, the starter kicks in and actually starts moving the cart right away. There is no letting the motor get running then going. I noticed that the belt is tight in both clutches. I checked on another cart, a club car and the belt on that one is loose on the drive clutch, I assume mine is supposed to be the same. I measured the belt and it seems to be to wide. 1 3/8 when it is supposed to be 1 3/16. I double checked that I ordered the right belt and I did according to Buggies Unlimited. This cart is lifted, does that make a difference?

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
wauters is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
BBuford
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 EXGO belt problem?

interested if you ever figured this out?
BBuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wauters View Post
I have a 1987 ezgo gas cart. I recently replaced the drive and driven clutches. The driven was making the belt flop all over the place and it was tearing up belts. I also bought a new belt. I think the belt is the wrong size or I have something not aligned correctly. The cart will go, but when pressing the gas, the starter kicks in and actually starts moving the cart right away. There is no letting the motor get running then going. I noticed that the belt is tight in both clutches. I checked on another cart, a club car and the belt on that one is loose on the drive clutch, I assume mine is supposed to be the same. I measured the belt and it seems to be to wide. 1 3/8 when it is supposed to be 1 3/16. I double checked that I ordered the right belt and I did according to Buggies Unlimited. This cart is lifted, does that make a difference?

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Belt should definitely be loose on there.. check other sites see if the belt you have is indeed correct for cart.
Govnah69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
wauters
Not Yet Wild

I have doubled checked it seems to be the right belt.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your belt should be 1 3\16".

You may also have broken , or worn motor mounts.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
wauters
Not Yet Wild

The belt is definitely 1 3/8.

How do the motor mount affect this?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

By allowing the engine to move, the belt gets tight before it should.

Your drive clutch should be wide open, and your belt should be loose, and floppy. It should not be touching the sides of the clutch until it starts to squeeze in.

Your belt should NOT be 1 3/8". That's a 1/4" too wide.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO