lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Jack Straw
Not Yet Wild

Default Forward reverse switch question

Hello group, I have an 83 Marathon that I am restoring and have a question regarding the F/R switch. I've taken it apart to clean it, shim the copper contacts a bit and upon putting it back together I figured I would replace the micro switch. I noticed that one of the wires to it was missing but the cart still ran. So I checked the wiring diagram and I can't figure out what that switch does! The schematic shows a line from one side of the micro switch to the ignition switch and the other side to a round "thing" (unidentified on the schematic) which looks to be mounted on the back side of the F/R switch plate and from there to the ground side of the solenoid. That round "thing" is nonexistent on my unit. There is a fuse there but I'm not sure if that was stock. 1 of it's contacts is broken off and goes nowhere. So back to my point, what does the micro switch do and what is that round thing on the schematic? It appears the switch is open in reverse and closed in forward and neutral. Makes no sense to me. Looking at replacement F/R switches on EBay they all have two micro switches. Mine has one and only one on the schematic. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you!
Jack Straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Jack Straw
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Forward reverse switch question

I think I just figured it out. Back up beeper. Is that it?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Jack Straw
Not Yet Wild

While I'm asking questions, there is an in line fuse between the ignition switch and the hot side of the solenoid. Anyone know what amperage fuse that should be? I'm guessing that was the broken fuse housing that was mounted to the F/R switch plate.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

7 amp fuse. You nailed it with backup buzzer.

Scratch that. The 85 2-pg manual is calling for a 25 amp fuse. That is now 3 different fuses I have seen called out for different years.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Jack Straw
Not Yet Wild

That beeper circuitry was driving me nuts! Lol! Thanks for the fuse info. One other question, as soon as I put the cart in F/R the engine starts cranking regardless of whether the ignition switch is on or off, even pulled the hot wire to the switch so it's not the switch. What would that be if you were to guess? Solenoid? I believe my wiring is all correct. Thanks again
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I would say stuck solenoid.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Jack Straw
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cart Around! My first guess too
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO