lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Buggs Dad
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 yamaha g16e low top speed

I have a recently purchased g16e that seems a bit on the slow side even with the pedal to the floor. Wife followed me and said 10-11 mph was the best I got. Looking around on here, I found some possible scenarios to cause this and happened to find the throttle sensor had been rewired. Instead of all three leads coming from the sensor going to the controller, only two have been wired into the circuit. While looking at the schematic I also notice the wires coming from the sensor were Blue, orange and black instead of blue, white and green. Question is, should I replace the throttle sensor in hopes it fixes the slow top speed issue? Or should I have the controller checked due to the rigged wiring
Buggs Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
net
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1999 yamaha g16e low top speed

1 cheked bateries.
2 speed sensor
Before replace

Enviado desde mi SGH-I337M mediante Tapatalk
net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Buggs Dad
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are good. Checked twice.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The difference in wire color could indicate wrong sensor is installed. The G19-22 sensor has different color wires than G16. And has different values. G16 should be 0-1k ohms, G19 & newer should be 0-5k ohms.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Buggs Dad
Not Yet Wild

Thanks cgtech. Kinda what I figured. This cart does not have the stock controller. It has an ALLTRAX SDM from what I can tell. Would the programming in this controller be the reason for the different sensor? And why does it seem to work with only two wires out of three connected? I did manage to gain a little more speed after adjusting the throttle, but it still seems a little on the slow side. I'm going to get my wife to follow me again as soon as we a few minutes to get a top speed. I am assuming with even with the ALLTRAX controller that 14 mph is the best I can expect. Or can I possibly adjust the controller for more speed? I just want to get all I can out of it. Kinda new to the electric carts.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Desperado213
Not Yet Wild

I don't want to stray off topic but I have the same issue with my 2000 G16E. On a flat dirt/grass I get about 10-11 tops. I'm pretty sure I have the stock controller. Are you saying there is a way to adjust the throttle speed? How do you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desperado213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

You are pretty close to top speed, but a slight increase could be possible. You need to check your original sensor to see if it is meeting a nearly 1,000 ohm reading when at Max throttle. You could unplug your throttle sensor and probe the throttle sensor wires to see which ones increases from close to zero (throttle at rest) to close to 1,000 ohms as the throttle is pressed to full. The controller has somewhat loose tolerances and it does not need to get to exactly 1000 to reach full throttle, close is good enough. Going just a little over 1k won't hurt anything either (and won't boost speed over 1k either). You can check this stuff, but I don't think it will gain you much, if anything.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Buggs Dad
Not Yet Wild

OK. Figured some things out. I finally got to connect to the controller and found out while I was driving that I was only getting @ 80% throttle input. Did a "reset calibration" and throttle input went to 100% with the pedal to the floor. It feels like I have the little bit of extra speed I was looking for. This is a 400amp Alltrax SPM controller an I am aware that this speed is the best I can do with the motor I have on board. If I go to a higher rated motor can I expect any higher top speed?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

There are higher horsepower "torque motors" and "speed motors". You have to pick based on your goals, torque motors are for big tire lifted carts and offer less top speed. The speed motor will still have more torque than stock.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha