lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
theranch1968
Not Yet Wild

Default golf cart drastically slows after about 1 mile

First of all, sorry for the duplicate post. I originally posted in the "garage" forum and it was suggested that I move here for better/quicker response. Mod, please feel free to delete the other.

Hello, I am fairly new to electric golf carts. I have a little above average mechanical skills. My issues is my yamaha ydre with alltrax controller, on full charge, it goes about 1 mile (in distance not speed). After that distance, it slows to a crawl (about 3 mph). I immediately check all the batteries and they all are reading 8 volts plus except for the one that hooks the negative cable to the motor (it only reads 4 volts). Let it sit a while and check it again and it is up to 7 volts. I am assuming that the other batteries are charging it up since they have higher voltage. I am assuming that I need to replace the battery, but wanted to check here first to get confirmation. The batteries are only about 2 1/2 to 3 years old and are Trojan T-875. I am assuming that the battery has a low capacity (or something like that) and it drains down faster than the others which is why it slows instantly after about a mile. Since it is the battery that actually hooks the negative to the motor, it is less forgiving. Any and all comments are appreciated.
theranch1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: golf cart drastically slows after about 1 mile

Okay I'll try to tackle this. Put your cart on the charger and let it charge fully. After it shuts off wait 12 hours then use a volt meter and measure the pack voltage and each individually. Then find a hill and test each batt under full load going up a hill if possible. You will know the condition of each batt. At 3 years your pack is getting up there in age. If you replace one battery it will work but you will not be able to buy 5 more in a few years as the new battery will have the same life expectancy as the pack.

Sounds like you have a bad cell on one battery but you will know after the test. The batteries have a date stamped on the post or a sticker, you might see two digit stamp with a letter and a number, letter is the month and number is the year.

Here is a chart another member posted it will show you the condition of you pack. So if you can only charge to 80% after the 12 hour rest then might be time to think about a new pack. If you have one bad battery then it makes it hard to judge. Also never let the pack go below 50% to prolong the its life.

IMG_0037.jpg
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

One more thing to add to the post above... any chance you have 12v accessories hooked to that one battery??? If so ALWAYS hook accessories to the whole pack using a 48->12 converter. Just a thought..
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The one at 4v is garbage, and is the one holding you down. If you could find a good used one to replace that one, it might be a good deal, but only till the next one crapps out. A new pack would serve you best. Also agree that all 12v accessories should be powered by a DC converter, not tapped into one battery. All batteries in a series string (like carts use) must all be shouldering the load, just one bad one sours the mix with a short ride time.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
theranch
Not Yet Wild

Thank you ALL for your help...I do have Bluetooth hooked to cart, but it is hooked to a 48->12 volt converter....I replaced that battery and it all works great...thanks again
theranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha