lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 97 ezgo w/ eh29c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1205 View Post
oh, one other thing. you recommend just going with the standard rings as long there is no scaring of the walls, or go up to .25 over. whats yall's opinion??

9 out of 10 times standard size is fine.

Because of the way the crankshaft pulls the rod/piston at the bottom of the stroke the bottom of the cylinder can bell shape, In that case the cylinder should be bored to larger size.

Measure the top and bottom of the cylinder, you can use an old piston ring. put the ring in cylinder at the top and bottom of cylinder and measure the ring gap with a feeler gauge.

Take a look at the rebuild manual, it show this.
Don't get intimidated with this manual! As they would have you measuring every thing Your not working on a F-1 race car

The only special tools you will need will be a cylinder hone and a torque wrench.

When you order the valves, (you most likely only need intake) too check valve seats, Turn head over and pore a small amount of gas around the valve seat, if the gas remains, seat is good, if the gas flows to the other side of the head, the valve need ground. get the valve seals also. That's the source of a lot of smoking engines.

You can probably get the valves, valve seals, rings and gasket kit off E-bay for under $100
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
dakota1205
Not Yet Wild

you recommend honing the cylinder, even if staying with "standard" size, and if so, how much do you hone the cylinder walls?
dakota1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1205 View Post
you recommend honing the cylinder, even if staying with "standard" size, and if so, how much do you hone the cylinder walls?
YES!

Any time you replace the rings you should hone the cylinders to brake the glaze so the new rings can seat themselves.
The new hash marks hold oil when the piston comes up, then the rings wipe the oil off as the piston go's down.

Just brake the glaze, take the shine away.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #14
dakota1205
Not Yet Wild

ok, thank you guys.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Put a new timing belt in it while you got it down. Gearhead1956 is leading you in the right direction. Tom.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
dakota1205
Not Yet Wild

well guys;
It's been a little while, but just now been able to get back working on my engine assembly, so I wanted to give an update.
I have the engine totally apart and in process of putting back together, per the manual. I had to have 2 intake valve guides, 4 new valves installed by machine shop, so I'm good on the head now.
Putting the crankshaft and balance shafts in, It appears, I'm missing a crankshaft spacer, (balance shaft has spacer), so question is, I need and 8mm spacer to continue assembly, anybody have one to sell, or know where I can purchase one reasonably, I searched Ebay, etc. not much luck.

thanks,
Randy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO