lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default First Golf Car - G14

Just purchased a G14, very good price but it needs some work. It starts cranks ands runs. Needs choke for a few seconds then takes off, which I assume is normal.

Sometimes it bangs hard from takeoff then it is fine. Uphill ventures, it spits and sputters a bit unless full throttle. A search revealed it may be the 2 clutches and belt. My belt seems extremely loose, again not sure if that’s normal. I printed a manual and saw no tensioner.

Can anyone advice me on what to check on the machine to assure it is in good working order. Also what makes it sputter and hit so hard as it takes off. Thanks in advance!

Also I’ve had no luck in finding what kind of headlights I have. I want to install some of the headlights with the orange parking lights like the G22. Does anyone know if these bezels are the same size?
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: First Golf Car - G14

You certainly should look at the driven clutch to see how the shoes,ramps and spring look.Then run it up on jack stands or in neutral and see if all is well. As far as the engine really clean the carb and check valve clearances.Good first steps and go from there.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Take the clutch apart and inspect everything? I’m familiar with automotive clutches but never messed with a golf car clutch. Any recommendations on what to look for? Maybe a video link?

For now I can jack it up and see if anything is loose and wobbly. Is the carb gasket reusable, I’ve gotten lucky before reusing some carb gaskets.

Is this process correct for my buggie?
“Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
No problemo....take the 4 valve cover bolts off and remove the valve cover and remove the spark plug. useing a screwdriver into the spark plug hole, turn the engine over (by hand!) by turning the primary clutch till the piston is at "top dead center" or "TDC". Use a 4 thousanths feeler gauge between the top of the valve stem and the rocker arm addjustment bolt head. If there to tight, the valve can't close, if to loose..you could lose a push rod when reving it up. To adjust, if needed, loosen the 10 mm "jam nut" on the adjuster screw, then ever so slightly, turn the adjuster screw (clockwise to tighten) till there is a "slight drag" on the feeler gauge, then tighten the jam nut and check witthe feeler gauge for tightness. You will need to do this several times, because the "tightening of the jam nut will affect the adjustment. Then, it is VERY important that you turn the engine over (back to TDC) and recheck the settings. I myself usually turn the engine over and check about 5 times to make shure the adjustment is correct. Reinstall the spark plug and the valve cover and give it a run. Good luck”

— — — — —

“Remove the valve cover, you will then see 2 rocker arms with a nut and a square shank. (older models have a 8mm nut newer ones a 10mm). you adjust one valve at a time, by turning the clutch until the valve you are NOT adjusting is at max lift. You loosen the nut on the valve you are adjusting. you now take your .010mm feeler gauge and insert it in between the rocker arm and the valve tip.

spin the square head until there is a little drag when sliding the feeler gauge. next you put your wrench on the locking nut and hold the square head from turning (you can use pliers on the square head if you are careful) and tighten the locking nut. THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT!!!! AlWaYs check your work here, be sure the feeeler gauge is not too tight or too loose after your adjustment!! repeat this whole procedure on the other rocker arm. install valve cover and your done!!“
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

At TDC, piston all the way up, this is what my valves look like. I believe they are touching with no gap.

I was advised by Don at Plowmans to not even bother with valve adjustment due to tire size and lift. This is my first buggie, not sure what has been done and just trying to do some preventative maintenance. Plowmans advised to leave at 6 thousandths, and that is where the valves are already set (.006)
Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You can see how CVT clutches work on youtube.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I’ll start researching about the clutch. What are your thoughts on the valves?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I used to adjust mine like smallblock describes at factory spec. I am not aware of a reason to do otherwise. Another point is to find out is whether you have the 95 or 96 model of the G14. A lot of suspension, rear end, and brake parts parts are different.An easy identifier is the rear end. The 96 has a pumpkin similar to a 60's G.M. car. The 95 looks a lot more ATV like.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for your replies, they are really appreciated. I put on jack stands and from what I have learned the clutches are opening and closing as they should. Also the rear pumpkin looks like the ATV style you described.. could possibly be a 1995. And check out this video of the clutches opening and closing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4V40ItdCc
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That makes it a 95. So when ordering certain parts, rather the using the G14 listing which is actually for the 96 and G16 parts, you need to order the G2-8 version. A few suppliers are aware of the difference BUT not many. I see there is a replacement type muffler on there which is good.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It's a 1995.

https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/w...aha-golf-cart/
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha