lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2 - need to find ignitor

I never liked the way the headlight kits really looked on the G9. I got a light bar from Amazon (Nilight brand, I think it cost me $18 or something) and it's brighter than any light kit i've ever had, easier to install, and quite a bit cheaper. If you wanted to route the wires up top and mount it to the roof it would probably be even better, but they're crazy bright mounted to the top of the front bumper like in the DS in my Avatar. Can't beat it for the price.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Joetfj40
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

CP241 I'm having some issues still after I have done the Chrysler ignitor mod. To me it really seems like timing. I have done all the other "my cart won't run" checks.....air box good, Original carb rebuilt and good, valves adjusted per manual and so on. In neutral it seems to run really good but I can tell it has a little lag. In forward or reverse, at very very low speeds (not much off idle) it runs ok. If I give it more throttle it bogs really really bad to the point it will just quit.
Joetfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can check resistance of the pickupcould, but it will usually work, or not work.

Timing really isn't a possibility. The cam gear meshes directly with the crank gear. You would have to have a pretty significant event for it to jump time, if not catastrophic failure.

What kind of compression do you have?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #14
Joetfj40
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Haven't checked compression yet but that is on my agenda today as well as checking the pick up coil. Should be able to post those results later today.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #15
Joetfj40
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Checked compression and it was 160-165. Checked resistance at pick up coil and it was 0.593.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Compression numbers look good

Try putting a timing light on it, run it and watch the flash. See if it becomes irregular when it bogs.

What spark plug are you running? When it bogs out, pull the plug and see what it.looks like
Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
Joetfj40
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Compression numbers look good

Try putting a timing light on it, run it and watch the flash. See if it becomes irregular when it bogs.

What spark plug are you running? When it bogs out, pull the plug and see what it.looks like
Gonna try getting my hands on a timing light this afternoon. The spark plug is the NGK BR4ES. I've had it out several times and its always been dry and black. I took a video of it last night but I can't figure out how to upload it on here.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
Joetfj40
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was away from the cart for a day or two waiting another Chrysler ignition module to come in from my local O'Reilly's. Did some more troubleshooting that lead me to the reason for buying another module. I had left enough wire on the original plug on the OEM igniter so I put some male bullet terminals on it so I could plug it into the harness from where i did the Chrysler mod. Hooked the OEM igniter up and took it for a spin.......ran PERFECT!!!! My thinking, I got a bad Chrysler module from the get go. So I bought a new one. It ran better but no where near what it does with the OEM igniter. I know the OEM igniter is bad cause it will cut out sometimes after getting hot. I'm stumped CP241.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #19
BBailey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I personally have a Chinese igniter on my G9 from that Jax, FL place, and it’s been perfect for 10 years.
I understand quality parts, but the price difference is hard swallow, especially when I like beer. ��
BBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #20
Skipper342
Not Yet Wild

Skipper342 - I installed the Chrysler parts per the schematic provided by Jims72 and still will not start. No spark. Have power to and from coil. Looks like Mag PU is working.
Tried the orange wire spark test, wired around all the plastic connectors, coil is new ... no luck yet.
Any ideas.
Skipper342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha