lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
krakowkart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 G2 early spark timing when cranking

I have ordered and installed a new air box lid, seal, filter and hold-downs, inspected the box itself. all good. still only pops out the carb into the air box now and then and also back fires out the exhaust, but not often. Has anyone heard of a voltage/amp drop while cranking causing this non-start problem?
krakowkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Make sure you have the new plug bprs2 I think for a g16 I think, a new one, they can foul easily and still look good even. Make sure you have fuel flow to carb, carb float is good and working right. All I can tell you is its common for the wires on the solenoid to go bad, the small wires and connectors, and also check the ignitor plug pins. Check any grounds in those small wires. Another trick that can work or not, is take the plug boot off part way so the spark jumps to the top of plug, once in a while that will work and make them start and once running will be ok. Or use a spark tester they are only a couple bucks and very valuable in case like this. You could check the valve lash, but it would have to be really off to cause this, and make sure you seal the cover back on well or oil runs down the fins and makes a huge mess plugging up the cooling system. Mine always starts best moving the throttle 0 to 25% open and repeat while cranking.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakowkart View Post
Has anyone heard of a voltage/amp drop while cranking causing this non-start problem?
Yes. I don't know exactly what the tolerance is, but think of the ignitor as a computer component. It needs to have enough power or it can't function correctly. Have you tried to start it while the battery is on a charger?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The ignitor could be bad but they are expensive its best to swap a known one in and test that way. Bad ignitor can advance the timing and cause hard start. A working cart will run on about any battery, I ran mine most of a summer on a jumper pack once. I used to use old car batteries that would only start a car in the summer.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #15
krakowkart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the input everyone, yesterday I replaced the battery cables, installed new brushes in the starter/gen, inspected all wiring and used a different battery. Yes I have tried cranking with the charger hooked up. It now cranks much faster, and fires now and then, but still pops out the carb and won't start. I feel at this point I have done all I can without replacing the ignition module. I found one for $174, it will get ordered today.
Thanks again. I will update the results after I get the part.
krakowkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The ignitor on a G16 requires no power from the battery at all. It gets all its energy from the magnet on the flywheel as it spins past the ignitor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #17
MagK
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What is the gap on the NGK spark plug, Any one know? I cant seem to find it in the service manual
MagK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha