lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
93fs
Not Yet Wild

Default yamaha g9 voltage regulator issues

i know theres a handful of threads that talk about the voltage regulators on these old yamahas, but i cant seem to figure out what mines issue is. virtually anything over idle charges high 15v range. i went over all the wiring which luckily is unmolested. cleaned all grounds, even added one extra 6ga to the fame for good measure. it appears the regulator is doing something, if your bring the rpm up it ramps up to about 16.5v then kicks down quickly to around 15.8. after checking over the wiring i decided to throw a new regulator in it. same results. where it gets weird, is if i unhook the brown wire, it virtually doesnt change anything. brown wire has 12v. is there something im missing here? with all my testing the only issue i could find is one of the small red wires coming off the coil only has around 10v. if i recall this may of been the one that ran to the regulator. if so, am i looking at a bad coil? cart runs perfect, but i dont want to mess up the lights, battery, or amp by overcharging. im tempted to try to put an automotive style regulator on it, but im not sure if thatd work with the SG. hopefully someone on here has had this issue. carts a 92 so it has the new style regulator if that matters.
93fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
93fs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: yamaha g9 voltage regulator issues

edit** im not sure why i said coil, i mean the solenoid or starter relay
Old 01-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I don't know your cart specifically but I don't believe that the solenoid / relay impact the charging circuit on any cart.

It's possible that your issue is that your starter / gen is putting out too much voltage and the VR can't knock it down that far. You may want to have an auto shop check your battery as well. If it's faulty it could be trying to draw too much from the charging circuit.

To be honest, 15-16v really isn't all that high for charging as that's a low current circuit. I like to charge my carts at 14-15v at medium rpms. Your's is a bit high but I actually think you are ok with it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
93fs
Not Yet Wild

as far as the cart and battery go, im not too worried, its more the stereo amp and led lights that concern me with it being that high
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha