lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #1
Delton Locklear
Not Yet Wild

Default Check G9 with timing lifgt

New to forum. Tried searching, but couldn't find procedure to check G9 with timing light.
Cart won't start, backfires occasionally. Has gas, and spark, Use to have to pull choke in order for it to run until warm up. It struggled to go up hill unless pull choke. Wondering if timing issue. All idea's welcome.
Delton Locklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Check G9 with timing lifgt

To check timing with a light, you will need to make your own TDC mark with a marker. (Next time clutch is removed, the mark is no longer accurate, NBD). For any kind of accuracy, you will need the type of timing light with the knob on the back. You can use it to make the additional timing marks to go along with the TDC mark you made first.

And yes, I have seen many failing "ignitors" (ignition box just below the fuel pump) fail with totally wacky timing characteristics.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
Delton Locklear
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Check G9 with timing light

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Just to verify that I understand correctly. I turn the engine too find TDC. Then I make a stationary indicator, or mark on the engine. and a mark on the clutch at TDC. At this time I can try to start engine, and check timing. Then if my timing is not near TDC, then I probably have an igniter problem. Is that correct? Thanks Del
Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Delton Locklear
Not Yet Wild

Up date: Replace spark plug, even though the old one was firing. Was able to fire engine and ride around for about 3 minutes with choke pulled. Then it quite running. Doesn't crank with or without choke. Was able to manually choke with lever and got it too run. As soon as choke released, engine would die. Used choke lever again to run engine. Spring return above choke is steadily flapping with engine running. Let off choke lever engine dies. Is this a carb issue? Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delton Locklear View Post
Up date: Replace spark plug, even though the old one was firing. Was able to fire engine and ride around for about 3 minutes with choke pulled. Then it quite running. Doesn't crank with or without choke. Was able to manually choke with lever and got it too run. As soon as choke released, engine would die. Used choke lever again to run engine. Spring return above choke is steadily flapping with engine running. Let off choke lever engine dies. Is this a carb issue? Thanks
Refer to your second thread you started about the same issue.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha