lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
rjbears1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Swapping g2 motor into a g16

Hey guys, first time posting anything here. I have a g16 cart that the motor is bad in, and have a g2 that's getting a clone put into. My question is what it will take to install the g2 engine into the g16. I'm new to all the Yamahas, all I've ever worked on was club cars. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
rjbears1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Swapping g2 motor into a g16

You'll need the complete wiring harness and electronics from the G2. Since you have both carts I think you'll find that it's possible. Pretty much everything electronic in the engine compartment will need to swap over.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
rjbears1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks I appreciate the info, will it bolt up just fine, or will I have to have to do some modifications?
rjbears1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Engine mounting plate and engine cradle not to mention exhausts systems are completely different.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's so much work, just to install a less powerful engine, I dont think it's worth it. Not a single thing is gonna bolt up the same, tons of fabrication that has to be just perfect to get the clutch just where it needs to be.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Might be less work to install a clone engine. Just sayin.

But you have the other cart so anything you need to swap over to make it work will be right there. Swapping a G2 engine into a G16 would be like swapping the engines in a 1964 Impala to a 1978 Caprice. Can you do it? Sure. Be ready to get the tools out.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Might be less work to install a clone engine. Just sayin.

But you have the other cart so anything you need to swap over to make it work will be right there. Swapping a G2 engine into a G16 would be like swapping the engines in a 1964 Impala to a 1978 Caprice. Can you do it? Sure. Be ready to get the tools out.
Unless the 64 used the 50's style old style front mounts, the side motor mounts would drop right into the 78. Should be a easy swap.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Unless the 64 used the 50's style old style front mounts, the side motor mounts would drop right into the 78. Should be a easy swap.
Hahaha a Chevy guy! Ok bad example lol. But you get the analogy. Maybe I should say a 78 Caprice 350 to a 75 Monza
Old 07-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

It's all fun & games, until theres nowhere to even put the bolts. (And motor mounts arent even in the same area code)

And no one wants to work on a V8 in a monza.

Maybe like "just drop a oldsmobile 455 right into a 1969 chevy C10", yeah, I dont have that one done. (Went to the "back burner")

But, ok, back to the topic.. I have done some "put newer motors in older carts", with fabrication. The electronics are way, way easier to put "newer" in place of older, to put older in place of newer would be much harder. Would require serious harness transplant from the older cart. The older one used a ignition box (AKA ignitor), the newer one only needed a wire or 2 to work. Not worth the work.

In my case (new motor in older cart), fabrication & exhaust was the "hard part" (which I thoroughly enjoyed), & wiring was easy. For your proposed job, fabrication will be the easy part, with wiring hell to come next. I say Dont do that.

And anyone who says "your fabrication is crap", I say this, those holes were perfect for motor alignment & didnt need any "adjustment slots" to have the clutch lined up perfect. Bolted in with OEM mounting holes. Exhaust was a different story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180914_141657561.jpg (213.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha