lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
PNK
Not Yet Wild

Default 4 blinking lights on controller

Hi,

I have a taylor dunn electric cart. It was a 36 volt cart and I swapped out the charger to a 48 volt along with the solenoid. Now, I can't get the solenoid to click and am stuck with 4 blinking lights on the controller. Tried to troubleshoot the best I can and came up with nothing. Any thoughts on how to resolve?

Thanks,

Brian
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
PNK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 4 blinking lights on controller

Please help!! I feel like nobody knows how to resolve this. I have checked a lot of threads and still no answer. This seems like it should be an easy fix no? The wiring all checks out and the only thing that I could possibly think of is the controller needs to be programmed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 blinking lights on controller

I would like to start by saying that I am certainly not an expert on the Taylor Dunn carts, but I will do my best to help.

Unless you have something that has been modified to a different controller, you have a Sevcon PowerpaK in this cart. Sevcon had some that were great, and some that were junk. It is my understanding that you will find Sevcon in several traction motor devices (like your burden carrier) but they seem to be more popular in Europe. My point is that while looking for answers to problems with your Taylor Dunn, focus your efforts more to the Sevcon side in your search. Controller manufacturers make units for all varieties of applications and devices. They can take one controller and make it do many things with only some very easy software modifications and wiring connections.

With all of that said, many controllers including the Sevcon Power Pak do not use battery pack voltage to apply the main contactor, or solenoid. It is applied directly from the controller after all of the safety criteria has been met. I an not in front of mine right now, but if memory serves it has a 24 volt solenoid on it. The first thing I would look at is what voltage was the solenoid you removed. It will most likely be 24 volt. When you install a solenoid that is applied at a higher voltage like you mentioned, you have taken the controller outside of the coil resistance parameters and I believe that would give you a flash code 4.

Many of the B2-48 like mine can safely operate on 36 or 48 volt safely with no modification other than the charger and batteries.

Be careful and do more research to verify what I am saying and make sure your controller is able to operate at 48 volts. The folks at Sevcon are slow to respond but in my experience they will get back to you. Taylor Dunn is pretty fantastic and has lots of info online.

Here is Sevcon flash codes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sevcon POWER PAK Codes.pdf (23.5 KB, 0 views)
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical question, short, taylor dunn
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts