lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
tempocrazed
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 92 G9 No crank or click when stepping on pedal

I'm working on my Dad's 92 G9 gas and what happened was he was driving it, stopped and turned it off, came back 5 min. later, and turned it on and it wouldn't crank.

That's where I started diagnosing it. I started by ohming out the solenoid and that tests good. On the bench I get 21 ohms across the 2 small bolts and when I apply power and ground across the small pins I get continuity across the 2 big bolts and it clicks. I can even use wires direct from the battery to turn the starter/gen over, but nothing through the system works.

The battery tests good and I get 12v coming from the battery to the solenoid but not on the other side (big bolts) when you step on the pedal. I thought maybe it was the key switch, but I checked that and there's 12v going in on red and 12v coming out on brown when the switch is on.

Is there a proper way to test the stop switch and if so are there ohm or voltage specs for it? I'm leaning towards a stop switch being bad, but really would like to test it before shelling out the $80 for a new one.

I know I need to rewire some of the cart as there is many breaks in the red/white wire to the stop switch. I'm testing for continuity on the other wires too.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Would the brushes on the starter being bad cause the solenoid to not engage?

I'm a noob at these carts so any help will be great. Also if you respond asking questions where I'd need to be by the cart to answer it may take me a moment since the carts 50 miles away at the lake.
tempocrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: 92 G9 No crank or click when stepping on pedal

Do you have a good ground on the solenoid small terminal?

I had a similar issue once, ran a temporary ground and it fired right up.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
tempocrazed
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Do you have a good ground on the solenoid small terminal?

I had a similar issue once, ran a temporary ground and it fired right up.
I'll check that tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Heres a good one that few seem to know. If you have a original solenoid, you can press on the center of the rubber cap on it's back & "manually activate" the solenoid. Does that make it crank?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
tempocrazed
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Heres a good one that few seem to know. If you have a original solenoid, you can press on the center of the rubber cap on it's back & "manually activate" the solenoid. Does that make it crank?
I don't think it's an original one. It's hard plastic across the bottom. If I use a different source of power ie my jumper pack and put power 12v to the r/w wire and ground the black it cranks. I tried putting another ground wire on last night and still nothing.

When attempting to test the stop switch the voltages are all over the place coming out of it through the r/w wire.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
tempocrazed
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So I had a thought today and wondered if anyone had tried this before. Since I suspect the problem is the stop switch, why can't I just wire in an on/off toggle switch or could I? If I wire in the brown wire to the 12v in side and connect the r/w wire to the 12v out side when you flip the switch the cart should start, right? Then when you flip it the other way it should shut off, I think.

Then it could stay running without pushing the pedal and when you get off just set the parking brake. That would keep the battery charge if you were collecting wood at night with the LED off-road lights on.

What do you think?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Just getting the starter to turn does not equal charging. You will actually be discharging the battery faster than if it were off, with the lights on. Charging only occurs when you are actually driving (and the rpms are elevated).

Also, I have seen loose connections at the brown wire, where it plugs into the pedal switch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't these carts have a micro switch connected to the pedal that activates the solenoid? My old ezgo had a switch under the floor board in a plastic box where the throttle cable connected. It went bad on that cart and the solenoid would not work. But I could connect power to the solenoid and it would click and turn the starter. I replaced the micro switch and never had any more issues.
Robert Yow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
tempocrazed
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm at the cart now. I have 12v going into the stop switch and when you press the gas pedal I get 12v out. I get 12v coming from the battery to the solenoid. I have put on a second ground just to be sure. I still don't get 12v out of the solenoid and when I check for voltage at the red/white wire on the solenoid I only get 0.60v on that wire. I was wondering if that should be more voltage there? Should there be 12v there to activate the solenoid? A bad voltage regulator would cause that, would it? How about a bad ignition module?
Old 08-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
Robert Yow
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The small wire to the solenoid has to have 12 volts to activate it. That's what I was talking about before on my ezgo. The microswitch connected to the gas pedal on it is what sends the 12 volts to the small wire on the solenoid. There should be a switch somewhere that works off of the gas pedal or the cable from the pedal to send that voltage to the solenoid.
Robert Yow is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha