lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
Farrar_1998@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default New Member with a 1993 G5

We have a G5 we use around our home and in campgrounds.
Yesterday we were going to use it and it started to turn over and stopped. No anything. Lights, reverse light, no crank.
12.4 volts to the relay, ignition switch, voltage regulator. Everything I have looked at seems normal. Pedal switch is working.
What am I missing? What should I check next?
Any help is appreciated.
Farrar_1998@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2020, 02:17 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: New Member with a 1993 G5

Stock solenoid? (It has a convenient way to test the starter "built in", press firmly on center of rubber cap on back & starter should briefly crank).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Farrar_1998@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try that, I believe its original.
Also, I noticed last night that both small spade plugs have 12.4 volts. Shouldn't one have 0 volts until the pedal is pressed?
Old 09-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Typically on a solenoid switch, you have two large wires. One comes from the battery positive cable and should have 12+ volts. The other one should have zero volts at rest. When the starter switch is energized, it sends 12+volts to one of the smaller lugs on the solenoid. This energizes the solenoid switch and you'll hear a loud "click". That click is closing the switch, now you should have 12+ volts on both larger lugs. At that point the starter should spin, and also have the same 12+ volts on the starter cable lug.

Some solenoids have more than one small lug/wire. I'm not familiar with your particular model, but a pic would help. I would guess that the second small wire is a switched wire that goes to another accessory, possibly the ignition coil? I would not think both should have 12+ volts at rest, but maybe when the starter switch is energized.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

In my G9 the white/red wire comes from the pedal switch (12v which came from the key), and lights up 12v for three things: the solenoid, the ignition coil, the ignitor. The white/red wire goes to all three. Its common for the small wire connectors on the solenoid to fail. When my solenoid failed I could stomp on the floor and it would start, it is mounted next to the floor on a G9. Some yamaha do not have a powered coil and ignitor, G2/9 do.

Make sure you check any ground wires, usually only the engine is ground on a yamaha and so bad ground wires will cause problems. My cart has also had issue with battery cables and clamps, but that usually causes the cart to go all dead no clicks no lights no nothing. They look clean but do not pass current. I had to file out the clamps.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
Farrar_1998@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

So I have tested the solenoid and it is good.
I have a sky blue wire coming to the top terminal and a black on the bottom.
Key off or on, I have 12.4 volts to both wires. That does not make any sense to me.
I have unplugged the voltage regulator and show 12.4 volts to all of the wires except the sky blue. Even the black!

I think I may throw in the towel, Any interest in a beautiful, lifted G5 for anyone who wants to spend the time to fix?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha