lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Default Windshield removal tips n tricks?

I'm trying to take off my windshield temporarily for trailering it a few hundred miles. I'll be putting the cart on my trailer facing rearward so the overhang will be above the trailer tongue and then the cart will fit on my 5X8 utility trailer.

So, I've removed the acorn nut cap and hex screws. However, the rubber C-channel holding the lower half of the windshield onto the cart is tighter than a nun new to the convent. Any tips or tricks on making this removal easier? Maybe some dawn detergent or soap to help it along? I don't want to use a flat bladed screwdriver to pry it because I don't want to slip and scratch the windshield or the cart.

Thanks!
ElDiabloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Windshield removal tips n tricks?

What cart do you have? What windshield do you have?
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
What cart do you have? What windshield do you have?
2021 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2 Sport. I believe the windshield is either Yamaha factory or Madjax.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Ahhhh, figured it out - and the perfect tool for it!

A Snap-On non-marring trim tool. I just put a little Gorilla tape over the sharp ends. Just slid it between the frame and c-clip and just used the leverage of the tool's elbow to pop it off the frame without leaving a scratch. I also put a plastic shim between the elbow and the frame to spread the prying pressure a little more evenly. Kinda $pendy though. Still, it was cheaper than replacing a wind-ripped-off windshield that would'a ended up on the side the interstate.

https://toolguyd.com/snap-on-instinc...ol-set-102020/
Old 12-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Stupid follow up question. My cart has an extended roof. Should I take it off and leave the struts standing by themselves when I trailer it on the Interstate for hundreds of miles? Won't the top act like a sail with a lot of wind getting underneath it and lifting up?
Old 12-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I remove the top from my cart when I pull it at highway speeds. Even if it doesn't hurt it now I'm afraid of cracks eventually forming from all the buffeting. I leave the frame in place. If I just have to take the cart to town at 55 mph I leave the top on.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
ElDiabloJoe
Getting Wild

Please see the following thread for additional:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171973
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha