lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
rojo143
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New to me G29 with a bad smoking habit

Hello everyone this is going to be a little long winded but I am new to the cart world but not new to engines or mechanics. I have a new to me 2011 G29 carb cart. The cart live a rough life before me and I got it cheap because it smoked pretty bad while running. Since I got it home I pulled it apart and cleaned everything so I could begin trying to source the reason for the excessive smoking. I initially started with and oil change and tune up kit to start fresh (which it had a lawn mower size spark plug in it). After changing the oil and running it for about 45 minutes total I checked the fresh oil and it was already black and smelled like gas. So I changed the oil again adjusted the valves to within specs, cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel pump. The cart is still smoking although better than initially, but still excessive. I guess I am looking into opening up the engine to look at the rings. My main question is how likely am I to have to bore the motor? Or are these pretty resilient engines.
rojo143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Mjmck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: New to me G29 with a bad smoking habit

Check out my build thread for some images. Start off with a compression test to give you an overall idea of engine health. As long as the bore isn't pitted or nicked for any reason a hone can suffice if within tolerances. My cart had 125 PSI compression and was a mosquito fogger.
Mjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
rojo143
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmck View Post
Check out my build thread for some images. Start off with a compression test to give you an overall idea of engine health. As long as the bore isn't pitted or nicked for any reason a hone can suffice if within tolerances. My cart had 125 PSI compression and was a mosquito fogger.
I forgot to mention that I did a compression test and it was 122 psi which according the service manual I have is withing spec. I will check out your thread. Thanks
Old 11-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You could do a compression test first. Might tell you something without a full tear down. Also, I have found several of those Yami engines to have a bad valve stem seal on the intake valve. A relatively simple and cheap things to try before you tear down the engine.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
rojo143
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here are some pictures of picking it up tear down and cleaning, the oil that was in it and the way it sits at the moment until I tear it back apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211109_174007.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211110_213150.jpg (224.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211111_111534.jpg (225.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211111_154100.jpg (207.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211124_192319.jpg (234.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
Mjmck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Might want to double check those compression numbers being in spec. My G16 is supposed to be around 170 IIRC, they will run that low as we know but they should be better than that.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Is the oil level rising?
What you are describing sounds like a cart that has been running on gas with ethanol.
The ethanol ruins the rubber tip needle. Now the needle doesn't seal properly and allows excessive gas in to the cylinder which will mostly burn while the engine is running. After listening to enough engines with this problem you can actually hear the problem when the engine is starting. Its a slight burble sound as the engine starts.
The bigger problem is that while the engine isn't running gas continues to siphon in to the cylinder, past the rings and down in to the oil. Now the thinner oil gets past the rings and causes the engine to smoke and contaminate the muffler so that even after you replace the needle and change the oil, the car will still smoke for about an hour while it burns the crap out of the muffler.

Of course it could be that your rings are shot and its time to hone the cylinder and install a new set of rings. This is probably the case if your oil level is not rising over time.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
rojo143
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmck View Post
Might want to double check those compression numbers being in spec. My G16 is supposed to be around 170 IIRC, they will run that low as we know but they should be better than that.
According to the YDRA service manual I have these are the listed compression specs circled in red. Are these accurate or should I be looking for a higher compression number?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211201-114441_OneDrive.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

G16
Standard - 164 psi
Minimum - 142 psi

G29
Min - 97.7 psi
Normal - 111.6 psi
Max - 125.6 psi
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Mjmck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo143 View Post
According to the YDRA service manual I have these are the listed compression specs circled in red. Are these accurate or should I be looking for a higher compression number?
Thats is crazy and surprising so much difference, anywho I stand corrected.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha