lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
laverma
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Emerge "Rebuild" with Newer Components

All

I have an engine overheating issue that I cannot figure out. Got to the point it was smoking. Don't know if it's engine/controller and have no one in my part of the country that knows these and it seems that no one has the software to check/set the controller that was in the 2008.

Question - is it possible to replace the engine/controller with completely newer components? Would I have any issues with the onboard charger working or anything else? If it is possible, any advice on which would work best? Are the newer components ok with old school deep cell lead batteries rather than Lith Ion?

I know this seems extreme but love the car and am willing to invest a couple thousand to get it up and going again.
laverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 Emerge "Rebuild" with Newer Components

I've had a 2008 as well... the controller should be a Curtis 1268. Remove the rubber plug of the controller cover and watch for fault codes ( flashing led ) or find someone with a Curtis service handset ( dealer ) for realtime troubleshooting.
The motor has probably worn / stuck brushes, would be typical. Lead acid or lithium dosn't matter, correct voltage ( 48v ) is important.

A good aftermarket controller is the Alltrax XCT 48... , available for Ezgo, Yamaha etc., but you'll need a harness adaptor for the Tomberlin
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
laverma
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I've had a 2008 as well... the controller should be a Curtis 1268. Remove the rubber plug of the controller cover and watch for fault codes ( flashing led ) or find someone with a Curtis service handset ( dealer ) for realtime troubleshooting.
The motor has probably worn / stuck brushes, would be typical. Lead acid or lithium dosn't matter, correct voltage ( 48v ) is important.

A good aftermarket controller is the Alltrax XCT 48... , available for Ezgo, Yamaha etc., but you'll need a harness adaptor for the Tomberlin
Yes I have done some troubleshooting,can’t see any lights blinking. Removed the motor and took it apart. The brushes seems fine - there was a lot of carbon build up that I blew out. Ran fine for a while but with little load. Had two adults and went up a hill and it overheated again and started smoking. Just tough in this part of the country with no dealers or anyone who can troubleshoot these.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear that... but If you'll Invest some money i'd recommend to purchase a better motor. When it's still smoking it's shot i guess. The stock Chinese (Advanced) motor isn't that famous. A new US made motor and the Tomberlin should be back on the road again.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
laverma
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Sorry to hear that... but If you'll Invest some money i'd recommend to purchase a better motor. When it's still smoking it's shot i guess. The stock Chinese (Advanced) motor isn't that famous. A new US made motor and the Tomberlin should be back on the road again.
Thanks again for the info - definitely willing to make the investment (I have read the same about those motors in the forums). So a couple things:

1. I'm a bit nervous just replacing the motor. Let's say there was an issue with the controller where it was sending too much power or something else and that's what burned out the original motor. Would hate to buy a new motor and have my existing controller do the same. Is this a logical concern and/or is there a way to mitigate it.

2. Anything specific on the motor (brand/model). Understand of course that the specs need to be the same, but it would also have to properly mount. Maybe this, too, is standard, but not sure.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not an expert for DC motors, but you'll want a Sepex motor for sure. There are high speed / high torque motors available according to your needs. Look at the side sponsors above, i.e. Carts Unlimited (ScottyB) with much info about alternatives.

Enclosed a picture of the Curtis 1268 controller, check out if this is yours. The 1268 is a good programmable controller, but without a Curtis handset it's difficult to check anything. There are Curtis handsets available for rent ( 30-40$) per month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis1268.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

If your looking to rebuild your controller check out FSIP they are a company that rebuilds almost all controllers and for a decent price. They also for 90 dollars can test your controller to see if it's faulty.
Jhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin