lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default bad fuel pump?

1997 G16 has been running great for many years and well maintained. fuel starving symptoms, so I assume bad spark plug or bad gas. removed gas tank, cleaned it all out, and replaced with new gas and new spark plug. checked all fuel lines and vacuum line for leaks, all looks good. all lines and filter clear. before putting back together, I tested if engine would fire and noticed gas was not filling the fuel filter, so I tested different things and finally got gas to flow by disconnecting fuel line from tank and putting it into an elevated bowl of gas. Then I made sure gas line into tank was clear, then hooked the lines back up and engine continued to fire. So I put everything back together and took it for a nice 2 minute ride, ran great. I came to a stop for a few minutes with engine off, then tried to go and it won't fire, acting fuel-starved again.

At this point, I am thinking I must have a bad fuel pump. any clues?

thanks
Lance
Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: bad fuel pump?

Are you sure that you are not losing spark?
You have a classic description of a bad TCI.
Did it start again once it cooled?

The fuel pump is very reliable but it is a good idea to pull the pulse line at the pump and blow back in to the engine. Crud builds up inside the engine and blocks or restricts the pulse pressure giving you reduced fuel flow.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Take fuel line off carb and put into a jar/container, crank engine and see if fuel is pumping out. The stream should be strong and in 10 seconds of cranking you should have a couple ounces of fuel.

You can always replace the fuel pump. On my carts I use a Mikuni pump from the Vanguard engines, it's much much less expensive and will work perfectly. The downside is it won't bolt right up the way the OE pump does, but I usually just attach one mounting bolt and it's fine.

When I replace a fuel pump, I also replace all associated fuel and pulse hoses at the same time. Hoses do leak vacuum and do deteriorate from the inside out. There could be an issue with a hose that you can't see. Replace them, they're inexpensive.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Are you sure that you are not losing spark?
You have a classic description of a bad TCI.
Did it start again once it cooled?

The fuel pump is very reliable but it is a good idea to pull the pulse line at the pump and blow back in to the engine. Crud builds up inside the engine and blocks or restricts the pulse pressure giving you reduced fuel flow.
This ^^^. Hook up an in-line spark tester and go for a ride...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll report back when I get it resolved. I am going to make sure all lines are clean, test the fuel flow out of the pump into the carb, test the spark, and possibly replace lines and/or fuel pump roughly in that order.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With a bad TCI the car may or may not start.
If it starts it will run for 5-15 minutes and then die. It will start again once it cools off. A cheap inline spark tester will tell the story.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

see the sticky above about fuel pumps
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #8
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

so I used the inline spark tester, and the spark is good. I replaced the vacuum line, and removed the fuel line connection to the carb and no fuel is coming out, and no fuel is being pulled through or visible in the filter. All indicators point to the fuel pump I guess. will look at the Mikuni pump.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

This is the one I have used on several different carts, works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briggs fuel pump.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:40 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
This is the one I have used on several different carts, works well.
Excellent choice. I’ve bought about a dozen of those.

Briggs & Stratton 808656 Fuel Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1FIN9T...MX38M990M9G8YB
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha