lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Tomberlin Emerge hall effect senor issue

Hello, I have a 2008 Tomberlin Emerge cart that has had a number of parts replaced with no fix. My issue is that the cart has no go reverse or none of the accessories work. I just replaced all 8 - 6 volt batteries with Crown's I have a new key ignition, E break micro switch and pedal with hall effect sensor oh, and a new motor. However, now of these seem to fix the issue I spoke to a tech in SC who stated that the pedal might be of a newer model and could be the culprit, however, I have no idea how to remove the pedal or sensor. Should I go underneath the cart and remove the how assembly or is there a way to do it from the floorboard inside the cart.
Jhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 Tomberlin Emerge hall effect senor issue

You'll have to remove 4 bolts from underneath, disconnect from the harness and the whole assembly comes out. Picture shows open accelerator box with new style sensor hall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0204.JPG (390.4 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #3
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

So update I got the pedal assembly out and replaced the hall effect sensor. Still nothing so I referred to the service manual and started testing the 8 pin connector that comes from the controller and found I'm not getting voltage at all when I press the pedal down. Now if I'm right voltage flows into the pedal through the microswitch then the hall effect sensor increases the voltage accordingly and sends that voltage back to the controller. So my assumption is that the voltage is not making it to the pedal because the microswitch could be faulty. If any one has any ideas please let me know.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The voltage for the accelerator is coming from the key switch. There is a check procedure in the manual for this circuit. The key switch is a known weak point, the connection of the accelerator assy to the harness on driver side also.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:55 PM   #5
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

Okay so here are some pictures of my key switch, I'm confused from the manual ''Use a multimeter set at 200Ω, connect the red (+) probe to the key switch terminal connected with a red wire. Connect the black (-) probe to the other terminal of the key switch". From the pictures I have attached this statement makes no sense there are 3 wires left which one do I use? Also is this the right key switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_4956464764408966.jpg (76.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg received_1383726898718856.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think it's a different 3 position switch, the wiring diagram i've found is showing only 2 wires. More important is the following check procedure:

9. Check accelerator pedal switch.
Note :
Be fore operation, make sure the ke y switc h ope rates properly and the ke y switc h and the instrument
pane l are installe d correctly.
9.1 When the battery is connected, use a multimeter set at 200V DC, connect the black (-) probe to the negative
binding post of Battery 6 and connect the red (+) pro be to the pedal switch output wire (Wire 3).
9.2 When the Tow/Run switch is on RUN position, the key switch is ON and Forward/Reverse gear switch is on
NEUTRAL, the voltage reading should be 0V. When the accelerator pedal is depressed, the voltage reading
should be reference voltage (48V, the battery should be fully charged).
9.3 If the voltage reading is 0V when the accelerator pedal is depressed, check the pedal switch circuit in the
following procedures.
9.3.1 Use a multimeter set at 200V DC, connect the black (-) probe to the negative binding post o f Battery 6 and
connect the red (+) probe to the pedal switch output wire (Wire 1). Turn on the key switch, the reading should
be around 48V (the battery is fully charged).
9.3.2 If the reading is 0V, check the red wire between the key switch and the accelerator for continuity, if it is ok,
check the accelerator pedal switch for continuity. If the continuity of pedal switch is checked with an
u nsatisfactory result, replace the accelerator.

You should check the pedal switch output (wire 3) at the controller also.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

On my microswitch I have the wire swapped so that black wire is really red could this be my issue? I did swap the wire like I was told however I wonder if that would even change anything if the microswitch is wire in reverse. Yes this photo was taken before I got my new hall effect sensor but the microswitch is still wire the same as the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220310_123908.jpg (254.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's difficult to compare, as your picture is showing the old style sensor with external circuit board. I'd recommend to wire everything same way like mine, it's the correct and functioning way.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Important to know:

On the new style sensor, the wiring order of the 3 pin connector is red - black - blue instead of red - blue - black on the old oem sensor w/circuit board.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
Jhammer
Not Yet Wild

Yeah that's how I have it set up, I have checked the controller and on the checklist from FSIP I'm getting 48 volts with the pedal up but on pin 17 of the controller harness, it says you should have 0v when the pedal is fully pressed down. Well, I'm getting 48v with the pedal up and down with no change in voltage. So pin 17 runs to the PC/RUN switch but for the life of me I can't figure out why the voltage is not dropping to 0v when the pedal is pressed all the way down. I have followed the checklist and it says if you don't get 0v when pressed down it could be a defective controller. However, the controller was just rebuilt last march so that makes it outside of the 1-year warranty also why would it mess up now since it hasn't run even with a rebuilt controller. I swear I'm going to lite the cart on fire and roll it off a cliff. I'm so frustrated with the whole thing I can't keep wasting time and money when I have no idea where to look to fix the issue sorry for the rant Tomberlin hs over complicated everything with their carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin