lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G8a want Electric fuel pump

Compression - 140. Vacuum gauge on pulse line barely flickers. Engine runs like a champ until bowl is empty. Without a good pulse, no fuel. Blew back through the pulse line at the pump, vacuum went from nada = steady 0, to a little fluctuation.
Who has installed an electric fuel pump? Looking for an easy fit, not re-plumbing fuel line etc. What model did you use - Specifics Please... . Recommendations otherwise ? I. E. Get this running so I can sell it.

Thanks in advance.
MTTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G8a want Electric fuel pump

Just my .02 if you’re trying to sell the cart I would either:

1. Fix it right so someone else doesn’t end up with your headache you hacked a workaround
Or
2. Sell it as-is so the someone buying it knows what they’re getting into.

Any other option is just dishonest IMO. When that electric fuel pump stops working, starts flooding the heck out of the engine or etc. then they’ve suddenly inherited an issue they weren’t expecting to deal with when they bought a cart that ran and drove like it should when they took it home.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:40 PM   #3
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So, What's a 91 G8A worth - 900 in electrics. How much to Fix it Right? How much is it worth? Think I'll pull the elecronics and sell the fooker as scrap . How's that for honest?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTTwister View Post
So, What's a 91 G8A worth - 900 in electrics. How much to Fix it Right? How much is it worth? Think I'll pull the elecronics and sell the fooker as scrap . How's that for honest?

I understand you’re frustrated with the cart but hiding issues with workarounds is not a good way to fix the frustration.

If you can show someone it runs and drives honestly and explain the fuel problem to them, you could get some decent money for it still. That shows it’s a good cart and runs good, but needs a few wrinkles ironed out. I don’t know where you’re locTed but around here even non-running gas golf carts that are completely trashed still go for $1000-1500 and they’re gone as soon as they’re listed.

Good luck.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:39 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try blowing back the fuel line from tank to pump, are the lines all tight at the fittings? it doesn't take a lot of pulse to operate. One more thing check that the oil filler plug is a tight seal.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
MTTwister
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Fuel line, I had the tank completely out, removed the old filter and put in an in-line filter.

I also blew back through the pulse line, and it went from 0 action to a little quiver on the vacuum gauge. Not at +/- 1 lbs.

Oil filler plug - too easy. will check.

And there has been no loss of oil, would one expect that if the seals were bad?
Old 04-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have a bit of a different take on fuel pumps. When I get a gas cart the very first thing I do is to take the pulse pump off and replace it with an electric. I use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why do I do that? Because I hate pulse pumps, that's why. Too much opportunity to fail (small air leaks, needless choking, bad diaphrams). When I install the electric and I know I am good from gas tank to carb. Heck, more often than not the need to choke goes away altogether as the electric pump gets gas to the carb without needing to choke.

Now, here is something to think about. Fuel pumps, regardless of type, only get fuel from the tank to the carb. Engine vacuum is needed to get it from the carb to the cylinder (at least on 2 strokes). If your engine doesn't have good vacuum then nothing upstream of the carb will help things. That your bowl is emptying kinda tells me that your vacuum is good, though.

I don't want to contradict other posters but, personally, I would try out an electric pump given your symptoms. I am not trying to start any debates. I am only relaying my experience.

Discloser: I only own vintage carts, all of which are 2 stroke or electric. I only generally know 4 stroke machines.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha