lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
TooMuchJuice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Front end suspension question re: airbags

Hello, I posted another similar threat but it might be in the wrong area? First time poster, long time lurker..
So I’m airbaggin this 2003 club car. And there is surprisingly little info on the web about this. A few threads from this site and not much more.

My question(s) is , on the front end of my CC, the steering and everything in the front end is very packed tight in there, I’m trying to fit a full size airbag , well….two of them, up front, but there is no space? Now I did flip the leaf spring upside down and I even went as far as to cut the steering blocks off the spindle area, and weld them down almost 2”, making the cart go down pretty low, but keeping my steering in tact. But with this crossmember looking ****** thing, and the A-arms right in the way, there’s no way to slip a bag anywhere.

So… my whole point is I want this thing floored. I want it to drop its little golf cart nuts, smack down on the pavement… pancake.

To acheive that I need to be low. I’m going to rebuild the frame in the rear soon so my axle can ride up into it, but for now, I need to figure out the front.

That guy that has “wicked carts” , mikey or something, his cart looks like he just cut everything out, made his own frame essentially, and connected the steering back to it… that’s ballsy , but if I have to

Anyone have any ideas that are less cutting and chopping? Or is that my only option?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (173.9 KB, 0 views)
TooMuchJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
TooMuchJuice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Front end suspension question re: airbags

I’ve posted two different threads with not one response? Is anyone out there? I know plenty of you have bagged your cart or at least lowered it and can give me some insight? Am I posting in the wrong place?

ScottyB, you seem to be one of the resident gurus, any thoughts? I really don’t have many other options but these forums. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:07 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Probably no responses due to this not being a popular modification on a club car. As you say, there is no room up front for airbags. You might find smaller replacement bagged shocks that will work for you but having never tried I can't answer your specific question. The only successfully bagged carts I know of were EZGO's due to the amount of space available under the front. Maybe your choice of cart is the problem?

You may also have issues trying to raise and lower the leaf spring due to its stiffness. You may need to rethink how you are going to achieve the amount of movement required to slam the cart.

You may have to look into cutting off the whole front end and fabricating a 3 link beam axle suspension and modifying the steering to suit. Or even a centre pivoted a arm setup similar to the long travel kits.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
TooMuchJuice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Probably no responses due to this not being a popular modification on a club car. As you say, there is no room up front for airbags. You might find smaller replacement bagged shocks that will work for you but having never tried I can't answer your specific question. The only successfully bagged carts I know of were EZGO's due to the amount of space available under the front. Maybe your choice of cart is the problem?

You may also have issues trying to raise and lower the leaf spring due to its stiffness. You may need to rethink how you are going to achieve the amount of movement required to slam the cart.

You may have to look into cutting off the whole front end and fabricating a 3 link beam axle suspension and modifying the steering to suit. Or even a centre pivoted a arm setup similar to the long travel kits.
Thank you so much for responding.. yes, I know not popular, but when other guys posted their build several people chimed in and there was at least a few people interested.
You’re right about the front. I ordered air shocks, Monroe MaxTravel, they have 10” of lift! I’m still going to have to possibly change out the steering. I also have a 79 ezgo, who knows , maybe I’ll steal its whole front end ?
As of now, I lowered the front by flipping the leaf spring over, then cutting off the steering “arms “ and welding them on lower , which in turn, slammed it. So waiting on the shocks to show up, hoping I don’t have to put a “yolk” in the steering knuckle, as it wouldn’t have enough length for the travel it’ll have.

Again, any help Is appreciated. And thanks!
Old 05-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
TooMuchJuice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post

Can you elaborate on a “three beam axle”?? This 4 link on here was my first so I don’t know much about what’s what. What is a three beam?

Tags
air ride, bags
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts