lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
wwilkens
Not Yet Wild

Default Rubber spacers on front shocks

I'm in the middle of installing a 6" All Sports lift kit to my '95 DS Club Car. I am really interested in achieving a bit better ride than stock. To the end, I noticed that on the front shocks there are two thick rubber spacers on the top of the shocks (that would appear to limit travel). Does anyone know why there are two spacers? Can I take one off to get more travel and not screw up anything?
Thanks for any responses,

Wes
wwilkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
pansser
ZONE FREE ZONE

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rubber spacers on front shocks

they isolate the shock from the body to keep from transferring the suspension vibrations to the riders.
pansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

i think you mean on the shaft of the shock? the part that slides in and out of the bigger housing? if so yes cut one or both of them off. you will get a bit better travel. some shocks don't even have these bumpers on them

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
wwilkens
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I did mean that the rubber bumpers were on the shock absorber shaft. I changed a gazillion shocks in my life but have never seen any with these fat bumpers on them. As I mentioned, I assume their purpose was to limit vertical travel in the event the spring bottomed out. However, more vertical travel is specifically what I'm after. After looking at the double leaf spring I will now have, it looks to be still stiffer than the single leaf I took off. That wasn't really my plan and am now wondering if the movement of the leaf spring will be the bottleneck.

Thanks anyway. I'm going to see how much weight it takes to compress the double leaf spring to the point that the second bumper will even be a consideration.

Wes
wwilkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To the best of my understanding those rubber spacers perform the same job as bump stops on conventional vehicles. IE, they prevent physical mechanical contact of the suspension components during high load conditions. I would leave the buggers alone unless you make additional provision to prevent such a situation occurring. Reduce them maybe, but be wary about just cutting them off.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
To the best of my understanding those rubber spacers perform the same job as bump stops on conventional vehicles. IE, they prevent physical mechanical contact of the suspension components during high load conditions. I would leave the buggers alone unless you make additional provision to prevent such a situation occurring. Reduce them maybe, but be wary about just cutting them off.

Chris.
what year is the cart, what type of terrain do U usually travel., at what speed ?

It may be time for a new pair of shocks , to fit your life style
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front shocks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car