lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
cartmann32
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Motor Upgrade in a Melex 512

Ok, so I'm a newb at this, but I figured I'd ask here before I get too involved.
Here is what I have out of my Melex 512 electric.
I was to upgrade to a better, faster motor.
Where do i go from here?
Replace with an EZGO compatible one, that's higher grade?

cartmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor Upgrade in a Melex 512

Cartmann that is the same motor I have in my 512E. What are going to use your cart for. Do you want more speed ,torque. your best bet is to call Plum Quick (site sponsor) They are known for great customer service and advice. I need new battery's so I am going to switch to 48volt system using the 36volt motor. I put a friends 48v set of Trogen battery's in my cart had and all the speed and torque I needed. Other people on the forum say they had no problem running 48v through a 36v motor.
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
cartmann32
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm just using this on flat ground.....pavement pounder if you will.
just want it to go faster...that's all.

So, for the 48 volt....I'll need new batteries and a new solinoid...right?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmann32 View Post
I'm just using this on flat ground.....pavement pounder if you will.
just want it to go faster...that's all.

So, for the 48 volt....I'll need new batteries and a new solinoid...right?
And a 48v controller and a 48v battery charger.
A 48v conversion usually yields 30% more speed and torque than a 36v.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Doug two questions
1 Don't most controllers cover 36 & 48Volts? Granted a 400 amp controller will give you greater torque and speed.
2 Will a higher amp controller put too much current through this 2hp @2800 RPM motor?
I know a high amp controller is in the plan but battery's,solenoid, charger,2ga cables and controller is a chunk of change. I do value yours and and the opinions of the other members.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Cartmann I talked to the guys @ Plum Quick and they said puting 48 volts through your and my motor would work great approxamatly 30% increase in torque and speed, and if that was not enough they would make a Bandit motor out of your motor $225 current pricing. Still waiting on anyone else to answer my previous post.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLakeside View Post
Doug two questions
1 Don't most controllers cover 36 & 48Volts? Granted a 400 amp controller will give you greater torque and speed.
2 Will a higher amp controller put too much current through this 2hp @2800 RPM motor?
I know a high amp controller is in the plan but battery's,solenoid, charger,2ga cables and controller is a chunk of change. I do value yours and and the opinions of the other members.
Generally stock controllers were of the voltage specific to the cart, most aftermarket controllers from people like Alltrax are dual voltage 36v-48v.
A higher amp controller will not harm your 2 HP stock motor, but the more you push things the harder it is on them.
2ga cables are overkill, 4ga is more than enough.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
cartmann32
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLakeside View Post
Cartmann I talked to the guys @ Plum Quick and they said puting 48 volts through your and my motor would work great approxamatly 30% increase in torque and speed, and if that was not enough they would make a Bandit motor out of your motor $225 current pricing. Still waiting on anyone else to answer my previous post.
I was attemping to get ahold of the guys at Plum, but they don't return emails....and I dont' have time to call them.

Oh well.

Where's the best place to get a new controller and battery charger??
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmann32 View Post
I was attemping to get ahold of the guys at Plum, but they don't return emails....and I dont' have time to call them.

Oh well.

Where's the best place to get a new controller and battery charger??
New controllers and battery chargers are available from many of our sponsors.

Here's a quick question, if have the time to post and send emails but you don't have time to call PQ, are you sure you have enough time to fix your cart?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
cartmann32
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Haha...I guess I deserve that....being a noob and all.
Not wanting to come across as a cocky noob, but when I leave from my 50 hour a week job, I own my own business, on in which I put in 30 hours a week after the fact; customizing pretty much anything and everything. So don't bring in my personal time when it comes to fixing this new venture I've taken on. I wouldn't even call it 'fixing'.....I'm customizing, and making this something special. Not going to use it on golf courses....it's going to show what we can do.

I'm just new to this stuff, and so far have been shot down twice for asking questions. Most of the time on forums people are very helpful (and thus far I've appreciated everything I've gotten from here) but since Melex's are apparently rare, I have to come across as a complete noob, asking easy questions, because if what I was 'fixing' was a EZGO, it'd be easier that all hell to buy parts and bolt them on.

I do appreciate all the info you've given me thus far, but I guess in order to obtain respect I have to put my time in here...which I plan on doing.
So, I'll call the company and see what they can do for me. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex