lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default installing a radio on a precedent.

Ok I have a question for you guys. Where did you pick up power to run your radio's? I was told to run a positive and neg wire straight from one of the batteries with a fuse in line. I have done several searches and have not come up with the answer. I am having the problem with cuting out on the radio so not sure if this is the reason. Sorry to be asking such newbie questions.
Thanks for the help!
bphemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: installing a radio on a precedent.

Hi, when I installed mine, I ran the wires behind the panel where the key switch is. There were several wires that were run behind the panel that were spares. I guess they were ment for other accesories that was not installed. I used a voltmeter to check voltage to ensure I had 12 volts and not 48 volts. This is just temporary untill I can afford to get a voltage reducer but I will probably wire the reducer in the same location. I did use a inline fuse on the hotwire. If your radio is cutting out, I would check all my wiring connections to see if any are loose. Check the in line fuse holder too. I have seen fuse holders get hot enough to distort the holder and the fuse becomes loose in the holder. I don't think it would matter where your voltage comes from, as long as all the connections are tight.

Mark
mkbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbrower View Post
Hi, when I installed mine, I ran the wires behind the panel where the key switch is. There were several wires that were run behind the panel that were spares. I guess they were ment for other accesories that was not installed. I used a voltmeter to check voltage to ensure I had 12 volts and not 48 volts. This is just temporary untill I can afford to get a voltage reducer but I will probably wire the reducer in the same location. I did use a inline fuse on the hotwire. If your radio is cutting out, I would check all my wiring connections to see if any are loose. Check the in line fuse holder too. I have seen fuse holders get hot enough to distort the holder and the fuse becomes loose in the holder. I don't think it would matter where your voltage comes from, as long as all the connections are tight.

Mark
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
Cinrock
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

You may want to consider a separate 12v battery. A motorcycle or small gel cell will do. I used a voltage converter initially and had problems with the radio cutting out, not enough output from the converter to power the radio at higher vloume levels.

Now the radio is on it's own battery and the converter runs my lights and accessories. Less static when isolated from the drive system also.
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinrock View Post
You may want to consider a separate 12v battery. A motorcycle or small gel cell will do. I used a voltage converter initially and had problems with the radio cutting out, not enough output from the converter to power the radio at higher vloume levels.

Now the radio is on it's own battery and the converter runs my lights and accessories. Less static when isolated from the drive system also.
+1 - that's what I'm going to do next week. I originally wired my radio into the hot and ground behind the dash off the same 12v feed that the light kit harness attaches to. Works great but doesn't last long enough for us. Radio is the first to die, then the lights get dim and eventually go out. Converter is an option but I'm opting for the extra, dedicated battery.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
bphemi
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys for your help. Will def get this done soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car