lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
tmoerbe
Not Yet Wild

Default kf82 engine

Just purchased '88 cc . kawasaki 341cc. Knocking. Driving and in maintenance. Still trying to get some feedback on engine noise. Top-end supposedly redone. Knock starts at about 1/2 throttle. sounds like a labor knock. Have removed the drive clutch, no change. Anyone know the maximum endplay for the crank. I can grab the clutch side of the crank with my hand, and I believe, simulate the noise I'm hearing by sliding it in and out of the crankcase. Probably .125" - .1875".
tmoerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '88 cc kf82

WELCOME to BGW
I don't know the end play specs but, it sounds like you have bought yourself a project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Welcome aboard tmoerbe!

That sure is a bunch of play. Problem I see is "How to fix it". There is not much information on those older flathead kawi's.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
tmoerbe
Not Yet Wild

I have a manual for the kf82 that lists the crankshaft axial play maximum as .5 mm or less. The remedy is listed as "adjust". I'm guessing this is accomplished by the shims. I believe I was getting an engine knock from the crank walking in on the flywheel side, I had at least a quarter inch play.I have the engine apart and there are two shims on the pto side of the crank. Anyone have any experience with these engines? thanks if you can help.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you've got it apart I would suggest new crank bearings (1 in the crankcase cover, 1 in the block) also a new piston rod as this may be causing some of the knock. The rod and rod cap are made of a softer material that act as a bearing. Assemble new parts and recheck end play.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
tmoerbe
Not Yet Wild

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I've got the new bearings and seals in. I was beginning to wonder if I had the only kf82 left in existence. The rod is definitely in bad shape, and needs to be replaced. The crank is scored a little, but like you say, it's not as bad. I was about to try to find someone who ground small cranks, and maybe machine the rod,(if the whole rods the same material) I'm gonna try a rod. I really appreciate your reply, and will keep you informed. Thanks, Tim
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

Emery cloth the crank journal to clean it up.VERY IMPORTANT- There is a locking tab on rod bolts. Make sure you install (new preferred) and knock lock tabs w/ punch onto rod bolt heads. I haven't worked on these in a whlie, but this motor is pretty simple. Just some basics, lap valve seats, use new gaskets, adjust valve clearance w/ tappets between lifter and valve. Not enough clearance, file tappet. Too much clearance, get bigger tappet.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
kf82 headache
Not Yet Wild

Hey Tim, i have a 88 club car with the same problem and cannot find the source.If you have figured out the problem i would really like to know what it is and how to fix it. I'm about to give up on it. Please help!!

Thanks, Steve
kf82 headache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
donkeyd9
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: kf82 engine

I had this same problem this summer with mine, had to replace the crank and the bearings, now I have a problem remembering how to hook up the fuel lines for the carburator can any one help with that
donkeyd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: kf82 engine

your fuel pump as 3 nipples on it ( dated a girl once with same problem ) and it has arrows on it........the hose from the tank goes to the upper nipple the hose for the carb goes to the nipple with the 90 degree bend and the other hose goes to the lower strait nipple................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car