lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Problem pushing an electric Precedent

i would worry more about the controller than the motor...........i,m not an expert on whats going to happen but the things i have seen with the run/tow switch when it should have been in tow and wasn,t seems to always have an effect on the controller......i mean as simple as taking a battery cable off and than back on will wipe out controller if in run but with the same cart without the switch it dosn,t hurt anything...................i have seen several times at the campground pushing a cart with switch in run takes out controller....why?................................ ....
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i would worry more about the controller than the motor...........i,m not an expert on whats going to happen but the things i have seen with the run/tow switch when it should have been in tow and wasn,t seems to always have an effect on the controller......i mean as simple as taking a battery cable off and than back on will wipe out controller if in run but with the same cart without the switch it dosn,t hurt anything...................i have seen several times at the campground pushing a cart with switch in run takes out controller....why?................................ ....
Steve brought up motor braking. I assume this goes into effect when a cart is on an incline and starts to roll back down the hill if in f,r or neutral. Being a characteristic of the cart, would this do any harm?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If the cart is rolling on its own with no pedal applied the controller will try to stop it with electric braking. The theory as I understand it, is that it will A. give you the opportunity to catch it or B. keep it from screaming down a hill and running over someone. When the braking is engaged the motor and controller are generating heat from current that really has no where to go. A hill or a coming off a truck is usually ok but pushing or towing one while it is trying to stop itself is bad. I had a buddy 's kids do this a while back cuz they don't listen and it melted the solenoid. He is lucky. I was sure the controller would have been toast.

As for the FNR switch, I don't think it matters.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Too smart too late?
Didn't have the owners manual when I offered to let the guy with no brakes push me so I could use my brakes to control his speed.
Relevant info from my 2009 Precedent with IQ system from the owner's manual.

"Walk Away Braking" The cart was in F when he started pushing me. This activated the walk away feature, which engages the motor braking. It also turns on the walk away warning buzzer. I wondered why that darn thing kept beeping all the way home !!!

Tow/Run switch.
1. Switch should be in Tow position when connecting/disconnecting batteries.
2. When in the Tow position all motor braking functions including walk away braking are disabled.
3. Before towing switch should be in Tow position. This disables all motor braking functions, thus preventing possible damage that could occur to the vehicle or electrical components if the vehicle is towed while the walk away braking motor braking function is operating.

Not sure if I broke anything, but after I cycled the run/tow switch the cart now seems to be operating normally. Stay tuned!
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Too smart too late?
Didn't have the owners manual when I offered to let the guy with no brakes push me so I could use my brakes to control his speed.

"Walk Away Braking" The cart was in F when he started pushing me. This activated the walk away feature, which engages the motor braking. It also turns on the walk away warning buzzer. I wondered why that darn thing kept beeping all the way home !!!

Tow/Run switch.
2. When in the Tow position all motor braking functions including walk away braking are disabled.
3. Before towing switch should be in Tow position. This disables all motor braking functions, thus preventing possible damage that could occur to the vehicle or electrical components if the vehicle is towed while the walk away braking motor braking function is operating.

Not sure if I broke anything, but after I cycled the run/tow switch the cart now seems to be operating normally. Stay tuned!
Looks like you were lucky. I am still trying to learn these carts and being in the automotive sector for 20+ years, this is a whole new learning curve.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Too smart too late?

Tow/Run switch.

I guess you would have been better off towing him than allowing him to push you . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car