lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
bryanw20
Not Yet Wild

Default G22e Batteries, charger, ??? Melted conector

Hi, new here, will try to explain best I can.

I inherited a G22e a few years ago, it's a 2007 model, purchased in Oct 06. Still has original Trojan batteries in it. It's used very lightly for around the yard 1-2 times a week at most (10 acre yard).

It's been problem free until a few months ago, went to charge it, and after an hour or so I walked past and smelled electrical 'hot' (not burning/melting hot like a short). unplugged the charger from the cart (I believe it was still on the AC, which I now know you shouldn't do).

Plugged it back in, and it seemed like it charged. I've been able to use it several times since then.

So today went to charge it and the connector broke (the plastic split down outside of one of the pins). So I finally decided to take things apart to see what might be going on.

Opened the connector and the white/+ wire was black for about 1.5" back from the pin, and can see obvious signs it got the plastic hot enough to melt it a little.

So onto the batteries. Sadly I just learned a couple years ago they need water added regularly. So at least 1/2 it's life water went unchecked; but have been keeping it topped with distilled since then. If I recall, the first time I filled it about 2 yrs ago it took about 2 gallons total for all 6 batteries.

At the moment it's reading about 44v across the bank; but it 'died' on this last trip out. Leaving it connected in series each batt reads about 7.7V. I do not have a hydromiter yet; but sounds like I need one. Auto parts store?

So I attempted to charge with the connector taken apart, used jumper cables to go from the pins to the batteries. Just like before, it started charging, but in about 10-15min the positive wire was getting to hot to touch for more than a second.

So that's where I'm at and now asking for help.

The cart is a Yamaha G22e, the Charger is a DPI, Batteries Trojans

Thanks,
Bryan
bryanw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: G22e Batteries, charger, ??? Melted conector

Quote:
I inherited a G22e a few years ago, it's a 2007 model, purchased in Oct 06. Still has original Trojan batteries in it. It's used very lightly for around the yard 1-2 times a week at most (10 acre yard).

So onto the batteries. Sadly I just learned a couple years ago they need water added regularly. So at least 1/2 it's life water went unchecked; but have been keeping it topped with distilled since then. If I recall, the first time I filled it about 2 yrs ago it took about 2 gallons total for all 6 batteries.

At the moment it's reading about 44v across the bank; but it 'died' on this last trip out. Leaving it connected in series each batt reads about 7.7V. I do not have a hydromiter yet; but sounds like I need one. Auto parts store?
Sounds to me like your batteries are shot. Although you didn't do them any good by neglecting the water level, they'd be nearing the end of their life anyway, just based on age.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
bryanw20
Not Yet Wild

Thanks; I was figuring the batteries are near lifes end. But would that cause the connector to overheat and melt?

Actually looking at it today, the port on the cart seems jacked up too; maybe a bug or water was in the connector when charging that one time and it caused a short, that it still causing problems today?

Can I swap out the charger & cart ports for another style charger, like an Ezgo or Club car? I'm thinkning of getting that Stanley multi charger, and it has connectors for some other styles, and this way I'd all ready have a new style in place.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If the port on the cart is messed up, that could cause the charger's connector to melt. Also, if the batteries have a serious problem that causes them to not really take a charge, just draw a lot of current, that might cause it.

If the cart and charger have 2-conductor plugs, there's no reason why you can't swap for any charger that operates at the same voltage as your battery pack, either 36 or 48 volts. If there's more than 2 conductors, or if the charger has to communicate with the cart, you'll need to dig deeper. In some cases, you can use a simple stand-alone charger and bypass/ignore all those "smarts", in other cases you can't.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may have battery issues, but I would start where you know you have a problem and get your charger plug and the cart's receptacle replaced! Make sure to cut back the wire to where the wire is in good condition when you replace both the plug and receptacle!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
bryanw20
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. So far it appears it was the connector. I cut of the burnt wire; disconected the receptacle, used my jumper cables; and after 3hrs it's still charging & nothing is to hot to touch!

My charger just has 2 wires; stopped by a cart shop near my work, he had some cheap EZ go parts I think he said they were; so for <$40 I got a new end to the charger & 'handle' & new port for the cart. Now to just rig up a way to hold the new port in place...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
Thanks. So far it appears it was the connector. I cut of the burnt wire; disconected the receptacle, used my jumper cables; and after 3hrs it's still charging & nothing is to hot to touch!

My charger just has 2 wires; stopped by a cart shop near my work, he had some cheap EZ go parts I think he said they were; so for <$40 I got a new end to the charger & 'handle' & new port for the cart. Now to just rig up a way to hold the new port in place...
What you got should be an SB-50 plug. It should have two small holes to mount it with. A short piece of 1½" angle ( either steel or aluminum ) should work for you! You can drill the two holes for the plug to mount to it and You can either drill two more holes in your body, or glue it in place with JB Weld. That way you won't have to drill holes in your body!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
bryanw20
Not Yet Wild

I was to scared to charge it while not watching it, so after a few on/off cycles I eventually got to let it charge, took about 5 hrs. If I recall the 'dead' reading was like 46V, the charged was like 48.5ish.

So today I got time to rewire everything. Looks good (minus the hacksaw marks where I cut off the bezel )

For now I just dremeled out the old receptacle and the new one is fitting inside pretty snug. I may eventually need to epoxy it in place or something to that effect.

Now I'm sure my batteries are dying. Took it out today, got it up to about 16-17mph for a short distance. But climbing a slight hill dropped to 13mph. After about 15min of driving around I topped out at 13mph on the flat on grass.
Got back pack was still reading 48V tho. I'm sure it's not holding voltage under load. But $700 for batteries at this time just isn't going to happen either.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Good job on the connector installation, looks great!

From your description, I'm not too sure that your batteries aren't fine. It's normal for a cart to slow down considerably on a hill, at least mine does. Your speed on the flat held up OK, a bit slower on grass would be normal. And the best part was that your pack's voltage was still right up there after your run. It's normal for the voltage to drop a bit under load, and the voltage at the motor will drop quite a lot if you don't have heavy cables and perfect connections.

Connect your volt meter to the battery pack and monitor it while driving, I'll bet it isn't too bad. Immediately after a short run, stop and feel all your battery cable connections, including those on the motor, reversing switch, and solenoid. NONE should be hot, in fact I'd say they shouldn't even be warm. Repair as necessary.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see you have the same soc meter I do, and mine sits right where yours does ( on the " h " in the white area ), when it's fully charged and with no load. What does your meter go down to going up hill? Mine stays pretty much in the upper part of the green on solid, flat ground and will be in the lower green ( almost red depending on the load ).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha